Research

I paced the lounge room, grateful that no one else was using it on a Sunday. I'd surprised myself by calling Ceri. I was just curious about how a Moroi such as herself had ended up with human parents, living with humans. That's what I was telling myself at least.

Not that she wasn't beautiful, but after Illiana I'd promised myself that I would never date for looks alone again. Not that Illiana didn't have a great personality, but... She wasn't for me. She would find someone better, I knew she would.

Prim was a different story. Growing up with her made it hard for me to see her as simply beautiful, to appreciate her body as I had done with Illiana. I knew I loved Prim, but I didn't know what way I loved her. My feelings for her were all over the place. They weren't something I was willing to delve into.

But simply being friends with Ceri wouldn't hurt me, hell maybe she would make my life less miserable. Someone I didn't have a past with . Since she was from the human world, she didn't see me as such a freak among freaks.

I was still pacing, still thinking, when she walked in. She was beautiful, though.

Her tight curls bounced with each step, a dark brown with caramel highlights. Her hair reached just past her shoulders brushing her dark skin. She smiled at me, smiling with her fangs, dimples appearing on her cheeks. Her soft gray eyes crinkling at the edges when she did so, her round glasses pushing up with her cheeks.

"Hello, Mason." she said, doing a slight bow, her accent more prominent now than it had been in the throne room. She was wearing jeans rolled up at her ankles, revealing black hi-top converse, and a marvel avengers t-shirt paired with a black unzipped sweatshirt.

"Hello, Ceri... Am I saying that right?" I asked.

"It's pronounced pretty similarly to Kerry. My full name is pronounced Ker-i-dwen."

I nodded, taking in her accent. "So, can you speak any other languages?" I asked, just making conversation. Unsure what we were to do when we hadn't planned for anything. This was odd for me, to feel awkward. I was Mason Belikov, I oozed social charm. I was a spirit user. This was uncharted territory for me.

"I speak Welsh as well."

I nodded. She laughed.

"See, you're plenty different from the rumors. Everyone says Mason Belikov is a partier, and a real flirt with the ladies."

I rolled my eyes. "People also have said I'm a monster since the age of five, rumors are just that. Rumors."

"I completely agree. Which is why I wanted to come and get to know you myself. Maybe, just maybe, convince you to help in my research."

"Your research about Moroi and Dhampirs we lose to the human world?"

She nodded. "Yes, I was thinking with your magic you'd be just the one to help me study it, and find them of course."

"Why, what kind of magic do you possess?" I asked, curious.

Her brow furrowed. "Haven't you checked my aura yet? I heard, and I know this isn't a rumor because the Queen herself told me, that you're a much stronger spirit user and can see what magic Moroi possess just from glancing at their aura."

"While that is true, I haven't checked your aura yet. I wanted to get to know you for myself, without cheating and using magic."

She smiled again, and my heart thud in my chest. "I knew there was a reason I liked you, Mason Belikov."

"To be honest, I've changed a lot these past few months. I was the person that the rumors say I am, a partier, a womanizer. I'm working on being better though, that's why I quit the academy and came back to court. Less temptation."