2 | 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

[ NOE - PLANS FOR THE LIVING ]

—☆—

ONE YEAR EARLIER

"I HATE YOU!" Caroline screamed, shoving Elena hard enough to send her sprawling into the bookcase at the Salvatore library. Her anger was palpable, and uncontrollable. "You killed them! You killed her!" Her voice rose even louder — as if it were possible — her veins enlarged beneath her eyes, tracing along the tops of her cheeks. The once kind, blue eyes were now red; with nothing but hatred and malice flushed within them. Without a second thought, Caroline rushed Elena, gripping harshly onto her neck and raising her off the ground. The doppelgängers back duh into the uncomfortable spines of the books behind her, making her softly groan, while trying to lighten Caroline's hand off her neck.

   "I'm-" she coughed, sputtering her words as it became harder to breathe. "Sorry! I'm sorry! It shouldn't have happened! I- I didn't know what else to do! I thought Jeremy was going to die!"

     The words went in one ear and through the other for the blonde, with her grip tightening. "You thought Jeremy was going to die? There wasn't anything else you could have done?! Like snap Kols neck? Stab him with anything other than the goddamn white oak stake?" Her words rung true to the brunette, causing regret to intensify harshly in her being. "Bitch!" She threw Elena with ease to the other side of the living room. Her snarl growing by the second, and her wish to rip Elena Gilbert's head from her body grew. Snatching a pen from the table beside her, Caroline aimed directly for her eye and let it soar through the air. The attempt to seemingly blind Elena for whatever amount of time, was abruptly stopped as Damon caught the pen mid-air.

    "Woah, woah!" He exclaimed, still clueless over the deaths that'd happened barely hours ago. The raven-haired vampires eyes were widened, looking back and forth between the two girls with bewilderment. "What happened?"

  The veins and fangs seeped back into Caroline's face, as her rather angry demeanour dropped; replaced with grief. Her eyes connected with Elena, who was holding her arm guiltily. The blonde sighed, attempting to swallow the lump in her throat. "She and Jeremy- They-" she took in a big huff of air. "They killed Eleanor and Kol. Kol died, and then Eleanor did." Tears bubbled to the surface of her eyes once more. "They're dead." A sob tore through her throat as she gripped at her stomach, not able to look Damon in the face.

     Damon's face dropped. It began to feel as though the ground just became torn from beneath him. He felt his face become hot, as his eyes became glossed over. He turned towards Elena, scanning her face and immediately seeing the guilt over what had happened. The pen clattered to the ground, his lips wobbling and body shaking. "El-" he whispered, a small cry escaping his lips. Tears began to free-flow, the pain inevitably exploding within the eldest Salvatore. A sob barely escaped from Damon's mouth before he sped from the room. Both Caroline and Elena watched him go, not sure what to do.