10 | 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

[NOE - ITS OVER]

—☆—

[ SIX MONTHS EARLIER ]

"HERE," CAROLINE'S VOICE came out rough as she plopped a box filled with numerous items into Elena's arms. The brunette winced at the sudden weight of various objects, and the insinuation this act meant. "Take all of this," she waved towards the box. "And leave me alone entirely. This- this friendship? It's over. I've tried to be friendly, I've tried to- God!" Caroline threw her hands up, tired of keeping her emotions towards the younger girl so bottled up for the last while when they had dealt with Silas. "You are so selfish! Every time I look at you, I- I see her. I see Eleanor dead. I see her body draped over Kol's, and Klaus bent before them in agony. I can't stop seeing it. And seeing you, it makes it worse! Everyone else seems to have moved on, but I can't!" A choked sob escaped her lips as the words she'd been longing to say had finally broke through. "I can't do this anymore."

   "Care, please, I-" Elena paused, not entirely sure of what to say. She blinked back tears, refusing to believe this was the end of their decade long friendship. "It was a mistake. I was trying to protect Jeremy. My brother. If you were in the same position for Eleanor, you would have done the same."

Caroline's stare hardened as the brunette's words registered. "You know what? Screw you. I would have found another way. You just took the cowardly, easy way out! You killed millions of vampires, not just my sister. Innocent lives, and Eleanor's you knew would be gone by giving Jeremy the stake."

     "It wasn't ea-"

  "Shut up, Elena. This is done and over with. You are the reason they're dead, and you deserve to be haunted by the truth of that for the rest of your miserable immortal life." The blonde turned away from her old friend without a second thought, more words reached the tip of her tongue but she didn't feel like going deeper into the untouched issues that laid beneath the surface. At this point, Mystic Falls itself was a reminder of Eleanor and everything she's lost within the last two years.

Settling into her car, she grabbed her phone and looked at the three voicemails left by the same number from New Orleans. She knew exactly who it was each time, and every time she clicked the play button, she felt in her heart that Mystic Falls may not be the place to stay anymore.

a/n - a small filler <3