Chapter 2: Origin of Vanguard

Kai's POV

"You came hear to ask about Link Joker right?"it frightened me to find out that Takuto knew my purpose for visiting the shop.

" In order to fully understand the situation Link Joker is in, you must first know the history of Vanguard."

"In the beginning of this world, three realms were created. The light was Cray. The Darkness was Void. Earth was the realm that held balance. Soon, Void began attacking the beings of Cray. The creatures of Cray had no leader to lead the various clans. It seemed that the Void was winning the war."

"One day, eight clan leaders came together and formed an alliance. They would each choose a human from planet Earth to lead their forces. The ability to lead Cray's creatures, came to humans in the form of a card game called Vanguard. The eight clans that formed thus alliance were Royal Paladin, Shadow Paladin, Kagero, Aqua Force, Oracle Think Tank, Nova Graplers, Great Nature and Link Joker."

Hearing this, I did a double take. How could Link Joker, he clan that Void Takuto himself claimed to be the "avatar" of Void, have a part in fighting the Void in the past? It simply makes absolutely no sense.

Takuto continued," Cray's forces began driving the Void back. When it was time for the final battle, the clans each fought a portion of the Void. After defeating the Void, the clans joined forces to seal it away. They then returned to there territory to celebrate. But a few days later, the strongest clan Aqua Force and Link Joker disappeared. The Void had taken the two clans as a punishment. The two clans were forgotten. This is why the Vanguard circle you see today has six arrows."

I gasped as the pieces of the puzzle started falling together.

"It seems that the Void had chose to return Aqua Force to Cray as part of a deal, but corrupted Link Joker with its power. That is why Void Takuto called Link Joker Void's avatar. Since your friend Aichi Sendou defeated part of the Void, the only portion of Void remaining on Earth is Link Joker. The Void has been preventing Link Joker from settling back into Cray."

I have always wanted to help Link Joker deep down inside my heart, and hearing Void's abuse of it only added fuel to my fire.

"So how do we get rid of Void's influence on Link Joker?" I asked Takuto.

He explained, "normally, that would be impossible..." My heart sank. "But this is a special case. Link Joker has chosen a Vanguard in the midst of the invasion."

"Who is it?"

"It was hard to tell before but it is clear now. The Link Joker Vanguard is you Kai."

I did another double take," what? You can't expect me to believe that!"

"Let me show you proof then. During the invasion, you became Link Joker's best and favourite fighter. You even controlled the Reverse to a certain extent, accepting it and even staying in partial control. Most players would have been consumed by the Reverse. This shows that the Link Joker already favoured you. In the fight in the Sanctuary, Raul Cerra was partly right when he said that the sanctuary had assumed its true form to welcome its true host. Only the host wasn't Cerra, it was you, Toshiki Kai." Takuto told me.

"I...I ...don't believe this" I stammered. Is it really true? Takuto/Suiko has no reason to lie. But...how can I be a Link Joker host?

I left the shop confused. Then it hit me that Takuto/Suiko never said how I would help to get rid of Void's influence. Never mind... I have enough on my plate as it is.
The next day
Aichi's POV

"Aichi I can't believe your up so early." I heard Emi exclaim. I laughed,"its nothing. I just wanted to go to Card Capital today."

Emi looked at me worriedly," you've been going there close to everyday Aichi."

I turned away. I just can't tell Emi that I had heard Kai's returned from his Europe trip and I was hoping to see him.

I put on my shoe and ran towards Card Capital.

"Aichi, its rude to ignore people when hey ask you a question you know?"