Chapter 37: Success Stings

Aichi's POV

I drew the top card of my deck. I spotted the green icon on the top. "Yddrisgal Maiden.. Elaine" I said truimphantly. I silently thanked my luck. "My turn. Stand and draw. I activate Alfred's skill. Counterblast. Superior call! Full Bloom Seeker, Cedric! I move Marron up, and call Bringer of Good Luck Epona! (oh the irony...) Legion attack!" The sixth card went to Kai's damaged zone, symbolizing my victory.

I whooped happily. I won! Kai will be okay! The memory faded, and I find myself back in the cave. All of us surround the circle. I turned my attention to a certain figure in the middle of the circle.

Kai's yells echoed throughout the cave. The darkness seemed to be sucked out of his body, forming a dark cloud in front of him, with a Vanguard circle in front of it. Six of us was too stunned to react. Misaki looked as if she was about to faint. And Kai... He had dissapeared.

"I won't go like this! I won't! At the very least, I'll take your friend!" The Void's voice yelled. As it said that, Kai's yells seemed to grow louder.

Guilt strucked me as I realized that I may have caused Kai to suffer like this. Then the full impact of Void's words hit me. Take your friend... Away? Misaki seemed to have arrived to the same conclusion. She ran to Kai's side, breaking the circle. "Kai!"

The Vanguard circle around the dark cloud grew dimmer. A bit of darkness seeped through, entering Kai's body. As the light of the circle grew dimmer and dimmer, I realized that, unless Misaki got back, we had no chance.

"Misaki! Come on, pull yourself together! Get back!" Kamui yelled.

Kai's POV

I couldn't see anything. I couldn't feel anything but pain. I heard someone yell loudly. It took me awhile to realized that it was me. Then I heard a voice. And I feel her hands on me. "Kai!" Her. I never admitted it, but... I... I really liked her. "Get back!" I heard another voice say. I feel her hand leave me. But what she did later on shocked me. I felt something soft touch my lips. For a moment, everything just faded away. It was just me and Misaki. But that moment had to end. And it did. When Misaki broke away,everything came back.

I lost track of time after awhile. The burning sensation seemed to last forever. But fortunately, it ended. After a way too long time, the pain subsided. For some reason, I don't remember anything. My mind was blank. As blank as a sheet of paper.

Aichi's POV

We finally finished the seal. It took a way too long time. Misaki and I ran towards Kai, who was just regaining consciousness. I placed a hand on his back, helping him up. He opened his mouth, and the next words he say shocked me.

"Who are you?"