words of love | george ☆

era: 1965
name: chloe
requested by: @thebluejayway

the car was completely silent. my hands were busy with the calloused hands aside me. i knew he knew i was nervous. the tension was unbearable, i just wanted to throw myself out the window. but george wanted to meet him. i didn't want to let him down.

"you know it wasn't your fault, right?" i heard george utter. "the divorce..." i didn't want to believe it, but i nodded for george.

my parents loved each other. maybe more than most. when my mother suddenly fell in love with the mailman and my father the maid, everything spiraled downhill. i'd already been moved out, being only two years away from home. my father decided not to tell me until the month or so prior to my visit.

and so, they both remarried and lived separately. it was this way for almost a year before they told me. i never called them, which they apparently loathed. to get back at me, they must've decided to torture me with the impending truth; my father had three kids with a stranger. his new wife, valica. plus one from a previous marriage.

"i just can't believe they kept it a secret until now," i muttered, shaking my head. my brown locks fell into my face, so i swept them to the side. "i mean, three kids with another on the way? how can you keep that from your twenty year old daughter?!" george let me be angry, which i liked. i think i was more angry than nervous.

"maybe their kids are cute," george grinned, trying to lighten the mood. i cocked an eyebrow at him. "well, he's already made one pretty cute kid." he gripped my hand tighter in an almost reassuring way.

i felt a wave of blush creep onto my smile. george always had a way of saying i was beautiful—during any conversation. "stop, george," i looked down. i didn't really want him to stop, i only said that to be modest.

my mother took the house, and my father bought a new one with his new wife. the maid was quite young—too young to not be creepy for my father to marry her. she was only twenty-six, and my father was forty-four, nearly twice her age. they had an affair for quite some time before my mother noticed, and by then, she'd already been having an affair with the mailman. george and i agreed it was strange, but not unusual for my father; my mother was just fifteen when they were married while he was twenty-four. apparently, it was normal in the twenties.

the car ride wasn't long enough for me to prepare to meet my father and his wife. they had a two year old named emma. my half sister. her, and one on the way. along with them, valica had a nine year old girl, izzy, and a six year old boy, peter, with her ex husband.

as we pulled into the driveway, i noticed the toys out on the lawn. i recognized one of them as mine, my barbie house. it was one of the only things my father bought me as a child; he claimed that toys were slowing the process of maturing, so he got me a barbie and a play house to pretend to cook and clean. i didn't understand as a child, but, i was happy with what i had.

"ready?" i shook my head, and george squeezed my hand one last time before opening his car door.

i waited for him—as i always did—to open my door. he came around the car and swiftly opened it, grabbing the same hand in his and leading us to the front door. he rapped on the door four or five times. i heard shuffling inside, along with the faint yelling of children. george squeezed my hand one last time before my father opened the door. i hadn't seen him in years. his hair was grey but his eyes still had the same wrinkles around them.