Chapter 2: Meeting the Omori Queen

After minutes of walking from room to room and following the Royal Guards inside the Omori Palace, Malorie and Tia ended up in a spacious room with bright canary yellow wallpaper that had gilded designs of cherry blossoms and swirling designs after moving through a set of fusuma doors. There were several tatami mats across the space, some of them that led to multiple steps in front of her. Next to the steps were four zabuton, presumably for Royal Guards. On top of the steps, there were two large thrones with fuchsia and gold sewn in them. Behind the set of thrones were more wallpaper, as well as a set of floral-woven curtains. It might as well be one of the largest rooms of the palace.

This must be the throne room. thought Malorie. But Buckingham Palace's throne room seems to be a lot...higher.

After moments of looking at the various artifacts and details across the room, Malorie turned her gaze at a Siamese cat that was sitting on the centre throne. She was cream with auburn markings, with eyes blue like the sky, and had a blue heart jewel on her golden collar, which looked like an aquamarine. She had a few scarlet flower ornaments in her mane and a matching coloured ribbon at the base of her tail. The tips of her ears and tail were a little faded and diluted, which meant that the cat was of old age.

Malorie whispered into Tia's ear. "Is she the queen of this kingdom?"

"Yup, she's Queen Ami," replied Tia. She turned to William. "Where's Emi?"

"The last time I saw her, she was in the Camellia Suite," William said.

"Greetings, little one," Queen Ami spoke. "Malorie, I presume?"

What caught Malorie off-guard were Ami's eyes. It reminded her of the look her grandmother Lilie would usually give her; very pure, wise, and loving. Did monarchs always have that look in their eyes?

"Yes, my name is Malorie," Malorie responded. She then turned to Tia, who bowed to Queen Ami in respect. Malorie was then befuddled. "Do I curtesy? I mean...I am royalty myself, but do I have to curtesy?"

Tia shook her head. "No, you don't need to. Her Majesty already knows that you're from a royal family."

"How does she know?"

"The Shinnui Heart must've told her."

Malorie moved some of her long hair out of her face as she turned back to Ami. "What's some of your duties besides reigning over the kingdom, Your Majesty?" she asked.

"I have many royal duties, young one," the tenneko queen explained. "I often travel across the kingdom on royal engagements and look through documents from a Fuchsia Box, but my most important duty is to perform Shinnui Ceremonies at the Omori Fountain, which is to send one of our Onmyoujin to their new and lonely friend in another dimension. Once a Hoshi-Konseki enters the fountain, it crystallises all the water. One of the Royal Guards notify me about it, and that's when I go to my room to consult the Royal Tome over who would be the Chosen One. After the Royal Tome shows who gets to be sent, one of the Guards go and find the Chosen One in the city whilst I go over to the Nekoyuri Fountain to get ready. Once the Chosen One arrives, they walk over to the centre of the fountain, where the pedestal is, and I walk over the springboard to perform the ceremony. The Ocean of Friendship hovers over to be above the pedestal, making the Chosen One teleport to their special friend in need."

That sure is a mouthful, Tia thought.

Malorie then gazed at the light blue gemstone on Ami's collar. It was glimmering and sparkling, which made her be reminded of the precious jewels found on the crowns and tiaras owned by her family, as well as the Nijinite stone she always wore around her neck.

"I see that you have Tia with you," Ami continued. "Since I believe you found an opening that leads to our dimension, that must be the reason why you came here."

"Indeed I have," said Malorie. "Is your sister doing something at the moment?"

"She's looking for something." Ami replied. "I think so...I have a feeling something's quite off here lately, and Eva said she has the same thing as well."

Malorie's ears perked up. "Really? What's going on here in Kyou?"

"Tell us, Your Majesty," said Kikyou.

"I am not sure yet." replied Ami. "But we will find out very soon." She placed her paw on the Shinnui Heart, which is the blue heart gem on her collar. "And I hope everything will be alright..."

William looked up at the two visitors. "Malorie, I know you and Tia can help us figure out what is going on here in the capital, and I know the perfect group you should be with in the meantime. The Ume guild: made up of three inugami, three bakeneko, a tengu, and a maneki-neko, who work for the palace. Do you both think you'll become good friends with them?"

Both Malorie and Tia simply nodded in response.

The four Royal Guards and Queen Ami then got into a huddle.

"Malorie seems to be older than Kate." William whispered. "I'm sure she'll handle going on adventures well."

"She is indeed," said Ami. "At least she didn't seem homesick. But Kate eventually became a brave girl."

Mela was the next one to speak. "Tia seems very similar to Magic though. Except that she's a much smaller inugami. But you know what they say, tiny means mighty."

"Uh...what are you all talking about?" Malorie chimed in.

"Don't worry about it, darling," Ami replied.

Malorie looked at Tia. "She sounds like my grandmother."

"What's pretty coincidental is that both Ami and Lilie are queens of their own kingdoms." responded Tia. "Imagine if they both were to meet."

"That would be one interesting state visit!" exclaimed Malorie.

Queen Ami smiled warmly. "I'm sure your grandmother is a sweet one. Which would explain why you're so pure of heart. Traits such as this can be passed down to many generations." She then thought for a moment. That gives me an idea. Maybe I could contact Queen Lilie via the handheld mirror that is used for inter-dimensional communication. But it's in the Camellia Suite, and I'll have to move corridors to get it.

"What should we do now?" asked Tia.

"I suggest you should wait at the Omori Fountain for the group of seven I told you about earlier." William responded. "I'm absolutely sure they'll find you since you're a visitor from another dimension."

"Alrighty then!" Tia said in an energetic way.

Both Malorie and Tia walked out of the throne room and into the corridors of the castle to find their way outside.