Chapter 31: Roses

"So you must be the Kyuubi Emiko?" Malorie asked, her big blue eyes glimmering with wonder.

The kitsune adjusted her hat. "I go by many names. Kyuubi Emiko is one of them, but it's an alias or pen name I take as Onmyou's folklorist and ally. In my world I'm known as Queen Elaine Emiko, of the United Kingdom. Feel free to call me just Elaine or Emiko, or Your Majesty if you prefer. There are many alternate universes just like yours I have visited, though this one has to be one of the most unique, with a nation being called the Queendom of Onmyou rather than the Pocket Kingdom. Hence why I decided to take notes on the folklore here. It also seems as if this dimension has one of the highest concentrations of mana. Because of this, many denizens here refer to me as the Folklorist."

Lilie was impressed. She was in awe of how flamboyant the Folklorist turned out, but at the same time had a kind demeanour. "Goodness, you're like me! Another queen of a Britain."

Emiko did indeed share many things in common with Lilie, though she was a kitsune whilst Lilie was a canid gijinka resembling a corgi and was a significant amount of years older than her. Though her origins were a lot more elusive than that of the dog gijinka, she shared just as much knowledge of East Asian mythology, culture, and history, especially that of the Japanese. What would drive a British monarch to learn and research about such things? Lilie's was because of half her heritage, but what got Emiko to do the same? Could it be because she's a kitsune, maybe even related to a Kami? Does she also have that heritage as well?

"I assume you're a counterpart of me?" asked Emiko.

"Yes, of course!"

"Ayaka..." Amaterasu whimpered as she approached Emiko, pawing at her coat. "Ayaka!"

"Mm?" Emiko bent down to Amaterasu's level, her legs folding. She presented the little fox kit to the priestess.

"My niece...is she okay?"

Emiko was just as worried. "I hope she is...she's been sleeping for over twelve hours a day and the only words I've heard her mumble were 'Shinnui', 'go back', and 'Senki'. When I heard the word 'Shinnui' I just knew she was another Senki, but by how she was, she must've been a flawed, failed sacrifice. Thankfully she was sent to me, and she even retained her Onmyoujin shape." She nuzzled the weakened kit with her nose, which made her move her paws slowly. "She needs to rest somewhere."

~ * ~

The entire group, led by Ava, were all escorted to the rehabilitation quarter of the palace, where Ayaka had to rest whilst healers investigated her condition. Amaterasu was saddened by seeing her niece Ayaka-- one of the four children of her sister Hikari, all frail, weak, and on a plain, white futon.

Emiko was seated atop a zabuton with her heels off, revealing two round hind paws. Her nine tails magically fused into one voluntarily, as she had the ability to combine all her tails into one huge bushy tail and vice versa, and encircled half of her body, serving as a cushion and more support. On her lap lay a well-sized book with a dark red cover that sported golden engravings and a cherry blossom symbol akin to the Omori Crest and the Symbol of Equilibrium below, and in her paw an ink pen. On the bridge of her snout was her own reading glasses.

She was relaxed as ever, her tail wagging like a single stalk of pampas grass in the breeze and her silvery eyes, which reflected the warm candlelight, blinking slowly.

She always had that book with her, thought Ava.

Lilie was also seated, coddling Hana in her arms. Malorie sat beside her, her forepaws together as she became bored. Tia was napping beside her— again.

Ayaka still remained on the futon all immobile as a palace healer— a taupe tanuki named Asagi, was inspecting her body to make sure she did not have any serious affliction. She used her own set of potions and spells to check on the fox's health.