Chapter 1

It had been a normal school day for Sybil and now she was finishing her after school snack and leaving a note for her parents, who were working late, saying that she would be at the park with her friend Valda. She grabbed her jacket, phone, and key before locking the front door and running off towards the park. Sybil slowed down and snapped her head to the side as a movement flickered in the corner of her eye, the neighboring yards were empty, and nothing was there to move. Just a bird that flew off, that has to be it. She decided, things like this had been happening for the past month but every time she looked towards the movement nothing would be there, after telling her parents they took her to the eye doctor but they found nothing wrong and just said that she was making mistakes and should pay closer attention.

            “Hey about time you got here!” Valda’s voice called out from the entrance to the small park.

            “Sorry I was eating something.” She shrugged. “So what do you want to do?”

            “Let’s go see if there are some kids we can scare in the woods.”

            “Fun.” Sybil smirked.

            Valda went to one of the forest’s pathways before turning towards her friend again. “I’ll go this way and you go in the other, we can trap them.”

            “They’ll never see it coming.” She agreed.

            Sybil rushed into the woods, this is what she loved about hanging out with Valda, and they could mess around and act like they were still in elementary school even though they were nearly high school graduates. Not only that but after moving Valda had been the first person she had become friends with… by starting a fight on the school playground. Maybe it wasn’t a normal way to start a friendship but to them it was, now years later they caused havoc together, occasionally bringing their other friends along for the fun.

            She stopped for a moment to listen for any sign of another person in the forest but could only hear the occasional rustle of leaves as squirrels finished burying their nuts for the winter. Knowing what that meant Sybil found a dead tree that was about six foot tall, only about a half foot taller than her, and pulled it out of the ground. Valda would most likely be doing the same thing, as they tended to fight each other when no one else was around to fight with. Now all she had to do was find her friend and their ‘battle’ could start. No drug dealers or psychopaths in the woods to chase them off today.

            “Valda… come fight, you can’t hide in here forever.” Sybil called out.

            At first there was no response and she started to let her guard down and walk faster, then she walked right into the one person ambush, Valda tackled her onto the ground and immediately put her in a choke hold. Sybil struggled for a few moments before relaxing, as soon as Valda dropped her she turned around and jabbed her with the tree. Valda lashed out again and again until Sybil was forced to drop the tree and jump up and climb into a bigger tree’s branches.

            “No fair!” She called down. “You know you’re better at hand to hand combat than me.”

            “Yeah well you’re better with weapons or weapons like things.” Valda shrugged. “I was only trying to use my best abilities.”

            Sybil’s phone started vibrating and she took it out to see her mother had left a message: On my way home from work. If you’re not home when I get back you’re grounded.

            She let out a groan and put it away. Valda gave her a confused look. “What’s wrong?”

            “My mom wants me home.” She explained.

            “Why?”

            “Remember that incident a few years ago when you gave me a black eye? Well she never forgave you and hates it when I leave the house to come here to fight.”

            “Oh… yeah you should run!”

            Sybil smirked and jumped to the ground, another flash of movement caught her eye and this time she turned in time to see green and gold light fading away. “Did you see that?”

            “That weird light?” Valda asked, confirming Sybil that what she saw was real.

            “Yeah… strange. We should go.”

            “Why are you scared?” Her friend challenged. “It was probably just some kids trying to get us back for what we did to them.”

            “Probably…. Hey I’ll race you back out of here.”

            Sybil took off, she knew Valda was slower than her, not by much but still slower, but Valda also had more endurance meaning that if she didn’t run as fast as she could right off she would lose. Valda’s footsteps were a few yards back much to her satisfaction as she turned a corner on the footpath. That’s where everything went wrong. She turned the corner and looked back to check on her lead right before tripping over something and crashing to the ground.

            “Mortals are stupid aren’t they?” A voice, male by the sound of it, sneered. “Get up.”

            Sybil turned to see who the man was and scrambled away before finally rising to her feet. The man in front of her was tall and wearing strange green and gold armor, looks like the drug dealers gave this guy a little too much.

            “I would watch what you think about me.” The man hissed.

            “Valda!” Sybil called. “Ther-”

            She never got to finish, the man covered her mouth with his hand and hit a pressure point, and the last thing she remembered was the guy saying something about low key.

            “Sybil?” Valda looked around the path but didn’t find anyone. “Hey this isn’t funny I thought you had to go home.”

            Still nothing moved, giving up, Valda walked the rest of the way out of the woods and found the entrance surrounded by people in black suits. They all seemed to turn their heads to face her at once before surrounding her completely.

            “Who are you and what are you doing here?” A man with an eye patch asked as he made his way forward.

            “I was here with my friend. We were just leaving and well… I don’t know where she went!” Valda said though she didn’t think they’d believe her.

            “Loki was here. Bring her in for questioning.” The man ordered.

            The other people in suits grabbed her and put a blindfold over her eyes before dragging her after them, she tried not to panic as they took her away but couldn’t help it. Eventually a needle was injected into her arm and she passed out.