Chapter 4

Two days, it had been two days since Loki had taken Sybil from the park and injected her with a strange serum that had nearly killed her. Throughout that time she had gone in and out of consciousness. When she was awake pain would fill her mind and she would feel freezing cold, and when she was asleep bloody images went through her dreams that mainly were the deaths of people she cared about… occasionally some people she didn’t know, either way she suffered. If that weren’t enough Sybil was still chained to the tree with only small once a day meals, if she was lucky, which didn’t consist of water or any other type of drink. She looked up stiffly as quiet footsteps approached over the damp ground, Loki came into view a few seconds later carrying a scepter and a golden glow came over him as his gold, green, and some black, armor appeared along with a cape and a helmet, which she had learned about making fun of. The cut on her side seemed to throb in pain at the memory.

            “Well, have you changed your mind?” Loki questioned, referring to his question the day before about helping him. “Or are you still refusing to do as I say like the foolish child you are?”

            Sybil glared at him stubbornly. “No, you’re crazy to think I’ll help you…and don’t call me a child.”

            “So be it…” Loki sighed in disappointment, though she had a feeling he was faking. “I guess I’ll just have to make you obey me, infant.”

            “By what?” Sybil asked, irritate at what he’d called her and fearful of what he would do to her. “Starving me? Keeping me chained here for the rest of my life? Poisoning me with a plant here?”

            Loki glared down at her, she still had no idea of the new powers she possessed, though at the moment that was fine with him… it would be easier to break her. “Oh it will be much worse, I can promise you that.”

            Sybil backed away as far as she could from him as he took out a dagger and walked closer to her. Once she could go no further with the shackles on however she turned to face him, determined to at least face her attacker in the eye. Loki did not make any move to cut or stab at her, instead his image faded, she looked around in confusion before feeling him slam her into the tree with a tight grip on the back of her neck. Sybil struggled and kicked his knee before being thrown to the ground.

            “Is that the best you have?” Sybil taunted despite how afraid she truly was.

            Loki kneeled down next to her with a cruel grin. “Of course not… I won’t be done until your sanity is broken. You will beg me to make the images stop, then… you will be too far-gone to scream, even then I still will not stop. You won’t even remember a time you felt safe… Although, you can still work for me willingly… perhaps I’ll even let your mortal friend live.”

            “You can’t hurt Valda!” She scooted away as she looked at him coldly.

            “Oh, but I believe I can.” Loki disagreed.

            “You don’t know where she is.” Sybil hissed, secretly hoping she was correct.

            Loki laughed at her. “But it would be so easy to find out.”

            “Leave her out of this.”

            “I just thought of an even better idea… what if I forced you to kill Valda yourself? No control over your actions… not until it’s too late to save her.” Loki smirked down at her. “I like that idea.”

            “No!” Sybil scrambled to sit upright and gave him a pleading look. “Please, don’t do it… don’t make me kill my best friend.”

            “Give me a reason not to.” Loki straightened up and circled her like a shark, though his eyes had a cunning look of a serpent.

            “I’ll help you.” Sybil muttered under her breath, so quiet that it was almost unheard. “I’ll do whatever you want me to… just don’t hurt Valda or any of my other friends and family.”

            Loki turned his head slightly as he examined her, he could tell she was telling the truth, she wouldn’t risk putting those she cared about in danger…. She was cunning and secretive but loyalty was obviously her main value. “You have my word. Just know that if you do one thing wrong… I will make you watch as I torture everyone you love slowly… you will hear their screams, their cries for mercy… and they will haunt you for the rest of your miserable life. Do you understand?”

            Sybil nodded in fear before responding. “…Yes... But how do I know you aren’t lying?”

            “You don’t... Just be happy I am satisfied with your change of heart.” Loki backed off a bit and turned to leave. “I will be back tomorrow… we begin your training then early in the morning... be prepared.”

            Sybil got up and followed slowly to the front of the tree to watch him leave. “What do you mean training? Training for what? What do you want me to do?”

            “You will just have to wait and see.” Loki arched his eyebrow as he glanced back at her. “I do believe mortals have a saying about curiosity… it killed a cat I believe? Be careful or you might just end up like that.”

            Sybil’s eyes widened as she watched the Asgardian disappear from view in the dense foliage. Eventually she whispered another phrase to herself just for the sake of small entertainment. “And satisfaction brought it back…”