13). Falling Like The Stars

Recommended Song - Falling Like The Stars by James Arthur. 2019

Alpha Dean was more than a little surprised to find Charlie at his brothers cabin. He had known Charlie since the day he was born and knew him to be a friendly and popular Omega. He just couldn't fathom why the teen was there with his brother.

Charlie put his fingers to his lips and motioned to his sleeping brother and he stepped outside. Alpha Dean followed him and they walked to the dock so they could talk in private.

"What are you doing here Charlie?" Alpha Dean repeated.

"James needs me". He said carefully. "I'm helping him".

"Helping him with what exactly?" Alpha Dean was more than curious.

"Well for one thing he fell off the roof yesterday and I found him laying on the ground and took care of him".

"How did you even find him? Nobody knows about this cabin. It's not easy to find".

"I followed his scent".

Alpha Dean looked up at him and studied the young man's face.

"Pardon?" He wasn't sure if he heard him correctly.

"I followed his scent...a few weeks ago".

"You're his mate?" Alpha Dean couldn't believe what he was hearing. His brother finally has a mate and it's a 18 year old man.

"He doesn't know" Charlie said sadly. "He lost his wolf and he hasn't sensed me yet. James doesn't know I'm his mate. We are friends and I am helping him".

It was important to Charlie to be accepted, to be validated. Especially being an Omega where the need for approval is high, Charlie knew this about himself and had always been mindful of it. He had seen other omegas make bad choices because of the need for approval from others, so Charlie had always been aware of this need of his.

BUT he did not care about others opinions, approval, or acceptance in regards to his being mated with alpha James. If the moon goddess blessed it then that was the right decision for him. He certainly wasn't going into it blindly. Charlie genuinely cared for the older burley man.

For once in his life he felt protective of someone, instead of him needing defending. He felt like a warrior. He felt brave. James made him feel things that he didn't even know existed.

It would be a shame if he wasn't accepted by others but it wouldn't influence his decision regarding James. He was falling for the older man, whose heart needed mending. The man who made him feel alive when he held him, who leaned on him and would offer the same support for him. He looked over at alpha Dean waiting for a reply.

Alpha Dean took a few minutes before speaking.

"This is really incredible" he said nearly choking up. "Nobody could take better care of him than you Charlie" he smiled and brought him into a hug. "We miss him greatly. You will bring him back to us".

Charlie felt like the weight of the world was lifted from his shoulders. If the alpha, his brother and his family knew that he could help him that was all of the reassurance Charlie needed. It wouldn't have stopped him if alpha Dean disapproved but it sure felt amazing that he was excited and supportive.

They headed back to the cabin, both with a lighter heart than a few minutes before. "Let's go wake up James". Alpha Dean laughed.

"Stay for supper. There is lots" Charlie said graciously.

" I think I will. Thanks Charlie."

When they returned to the cabin they were surprised to see James was up, mug of tea and sitting in his usual spot with a book.

"Dean! How are you? Come in!".

The transformation in James from the last time he saw him, less than a week before, was remarkable. He looked healthier, his skin glowed, he had a grin on his face and most astonishingly were his eyes had returned to their normal blue, the red glow was gone. His posture was straighter, he looked happy. He looked younger even, like the James of his youth.

"James! You look really good. You look happy". Alpha Dean beamed at him, he couldn't contain his joy at seeing his usually depressed brother look happy.

"It's all thanks to Charlie here. He has been so helpful to me". James looked adoringly at the young man who returned the look. One would have to be blind not to see what was happening between the unlikely pair and Dean was not blind. He chuckled to himself.

He watched them during dinner and there were moments he thought they forgot he was there. Charlie doted on James and in return James complimented him on dinner, on his appearance, on his personality, how well he was taking care of him. James talked so warmly to Charlie and it was obvious that Charlie absolutely idolized him. There were tender moments when there hands would brush against each other or James would find an excuse to touch him, to fix his shirt collar or ruffle his hair or their eyes would meet and they would stare at one another for a moment or two before catching themselves.

James might not know that Charlie is his mate but there was definitely something wonderful between them. Alpha Dean couldn't be more thrilled.

After dinner and a coffee alpha Dean headed to the door.

"Well I'm off. Thanks so much for dinner. That was really great. Let's do it again soon" he said and winked at Charlie knowingly without James seeing the obvious gesture.

Not one to miss a moment, Charlie quipped back "that would be so nice alpha Dean" and nodded deliberately.

James and Charlie wiped the table, did the dishes, tidied the floors all like it was a regular routine of theirs. Neither of them gave it a second thought. Everything between them flowed. Conversations, movements, routines. Even the act of sensing when the other wanted a touch or a look was returned that moment by the other.

Neither could deny what was happening. It was just natural. Like breathing.

"Charlie, put your coat and shoes on and come with me. I have something to show you". James said grabbing the solar lantern hanging off the porch. They walked side by side even though the path was a little too narrow for it. They kept bumping into each other. Charlie just giggled and grabbed James hand, knowing the man was too shy to. James immediately smiled down at Charlie and linked their fingers together. They walked for ten minutes, past the pond, past the row of bird houses and just as they came upon the field he saw it.

"James!!" Charlie yelled out delighted and ran towards the small building. He stepped inside eagerly and what awaited him was amazing. On two walls was a bench and when the lid lifted there were blankets. James grabbed two. On the back wall was a huge map of the constellations. In the middle of the small building was a telescope. The roof was domed in shape and it was the coolest observatory Charlie had ever seen.

He looked at James and it was at that very moment, seeing James beaming at him, wanting to share some part of his world with him, so open, if was at that moment when Charlie truly fell in love.