1). Across the Universe

Across the Universe - The Beatles 1968

January 3 1979

The moon goddess smiled as she continued her work. It had been a busy time, busier than usual. It was a full moon and the lovers were seemingly enjoying the summertime. Year after year, century after century, full moons in the summer were always the busy time for moon goddess. Busy or not she put a lot of thought and care into her mate selections.

It was not simply matching wolves up. No, she took their character, flaws, strengths, weaknesses, interests, everything about a certain wolf to find him or her a mate that would be a perfect fit. They were mated at conception and because of that it was even more special when mates found each other.

Sometimes the wolf would be upset with the moon goddess, and she would hear the painful cries when they discovered that their mate was the school bully that teased her or him for years. Sometimes long standing feuds between families that had nothing directly to do with the mated wolves would alter their view of each other and sever the bond. Some simply didn't like their appearance. Many reasons and she had heard them all and it angered her. Everytime.

How dare they reject their mate. They knew the consequences and were still unwilling to look past their own vanity and stupidity to allow the mate bond to even begin. She thought they were fools and punished them with a slow death. She felt remorse for the wolf that had to live within the human vessel. The wolf always wanted their mate and to be ignored by their other self was the beginning of their downfall. The wolf stopped caring, stopped healing and stopped protecting. The wolf simply disappeared.

It was far and few that this happened though, most of the wolves were overjoyed with the match that she provided and she heard prayers of thanks every night from happy mates.

She looked down at the name.

James Edward King. Born January 2nd 1980. Parents are Martha and Barton King, Luna and Alpha of the Silver Creek pack. An alpha, hmm thought the moon godess. She traced his name with her finger and concentrated, getting information from his childhood in waves of visions.

She smiled at the visions. James Edward King was generous, kind, humble and a friend to everyone. His pack came first, he was loyal to all of the members and as alpha would always put them first. He had been graced with bountiful love and support and was raised in kindness from a his Alpha and Luna parents.

His family would eventually extend to his parents, younger brother and younger sister. Due to his outstanding attributes she made the mate selections easily.

A rogue would be born just outside the Silver Creek border a week after James would be born. They would find each other on Melissa's birthday. Melissa would not have the luxuries that her mate James would have but she would become into a loving and kind Luna.

James would have the personality to suit Melissa and give her a wonderful life. Her life for the first 18 years, before she would meet her mate James, would be rough and cruel which is often the case of rogues. She saw three beautiful children in their happy future and knew she made the right decision for both of them.

The moon goddesses carefully wrote James Edward King-January 2, 1980 and Melissa Jane (rogues often did not have last names) January 9, 1980. She stamped her seal and with that they were mated. The moon goddess was thrilled with this match, a match made in the stars she chuckled to herself.

****************************************

Martha and Barton King were Luna and Alpha of the Silver Creek pack. They were friends since childhood and when they discovered that they were mates they were over the moon. They had come from good, loving families and were immensely proud of their small but loyal pack. Truly they had a wonderful life and expected it to continue.

Eleanor and Isaac were part of the rogue pack. The pack did not have a name. Most of the pack did not even acknowledge first names and last names were insignificant. It wasn't that the rogues were cruel, well some were, it was just a matter of survival. Nobody chooses to be a rogue, it is the lowest of the low. It is as close to being dead as anyone can get.

Wolves are kicked out of their family packs, sometimes justified but often times not. It depended on the pack, on the alpha, on the circumstances. An innocent wolf can be kicked out on false charges, unfortunately for Isaac they weren't false claims.

He had in fact killed a man. It had happened ten years prior and he killed him not out of defense or justice or forced to. No, Isaac killed a man because he wanted to. Simple as that. He was 17, son of the alpha of Blue Hills pack in Tennessee and months before graduating highschool and his birthday where he would take over the pack and find his mate. He had it all. Everything. He threw it all away. He had spent seven years in prison and when he returned to the pack be was exiled. He had no family, no pack, no home, no money, absolutely nothing.

His skills as a wolf were poor for the first while, after being in captivity for so long but within a few weeks he was in top form. He wandered no man's land in search of food and shelter. That was his life for the first long months until he stumbled across a group of rogues. They let him wander with them, and the group consisted of sometimes up to ten rogues. Some left, some killed by hunters, wolves came and went that was the life in a rogue pack. It was there that he met Eleanor.

Eleanor was beaten, thin and near death when the rogue pack stumbled upon her battered body. They nursed her back to health and within months she was healthy and happy. Eleanor was beautiful with a soft grey coat and shining blue eyes.

Sometimes she had a glint of sorrow in her face but generally she was appreciative of the wolves that saved her life. Her mother had gone feral after the loss of her husband, Eleanor's dad. In her crazy mind she thought Eleanor was to blame, that she had caused evil in her family. Eleanor had been starved and beaten by her mother and eventually thrown out to fend on her own.

Isaac had changed over the years from thoughtless and vain to considerate and humble. Living with the rogues taught him about patience and cooperation and appreciating everything in life. It was too late to restart his old life, but he vowed to do good with the new life he had been given.

Although Isaac and Eleanor were not mated to each other, they were by this time in their late twenties and figured their mates had died at some point or in some far off corner of the world. They fell in love and settled on starting a family. They would soon be happily expecting their first child.