8). The Fall and Rise of the Moon

Photo of Charlie and his mom ♥️

Recommended song "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On My by Elton John.

Charlie slowly opened his eyes, still groggy from the sedative, and tried to sit up.

"Oh good, you are awake." His mom said and sat on the bed. She held his two hands on her hands.

"What happened Charlie? What upset you?" His mom asked quietly, her voice full of concern.

Charlie had always been close with his parents. They showered him with love and being an only child they treated him like an adult. They always answered his questions honestly, not spoon-feeding him just the nice parts but explaining things so he would understand. They never lied to him and expected the same from him. It wasn't that he didn't want to tell them, he was just so embarrassed that it was hard finding the words.

He took a deep breath and started talking. "I found my mate". He said with no enthusiasm, on the brink of tears again.

"Charlie that's so wonderful!!" His mom exclaimed, not grasping poor Charlie's confusion and broken heart.

"No mom. It's not wonderful. It's gross and embarrassing.

His mom was shocked at her son. To disrespect ones mate like that was essentially disrespecting the moon goddess.

"Charlie. How can you say that?"

"Mom, you don't understand". He sighed.

"You better start explaining" his mom said annoyed.

"It's not who I was expecting". He said quietly.

She laughed. " Oh Charlie. Is that all?? It's never who we expect. I certainly wasn't expecting your father to be my mate. I thought my mate would have at least been from my pack". She laughed at the memory of her impression of him all those years ago.  "I  had seen him in town with his friends and he was so loud and obnoxious. Look at us now. I couldn't have chosen a better mate." She said smiling.

In all honesty Charlie couldn't picture his quiet natured father being loud and obnoxious.

"Mom. It's a man. An old man". He said on the verge of tears.

She was silent. She said nothing for several minutes just silently watched him fiddle with the hem of his blanket with awkwardness.

"Do you um like boys?" His mom finally broke the tension but it caused even greater anxiety to the stressful situation.

"No mom. I don't". I want a young lady for a mate. Not a scary old man".

"Wait a sec. Do you know him?". His mom asked.

"I followed the scent to his cabin a few days ago. but I thought there must be a lady inside even though I didn't see one. I went back yesterday and thought I would see her but it was just him yesterday. Garth told me he is my mate".

"I see. Did he scare you? Why do you think he is scary?"

"He wasn't mean. He's just really big! And he has a beard. And a deep voice and he looks so serious. His eyes creeped me out. They had a red glow. He has nice laugh though". He said the last part quietly but his mom heard him.

"Well what else happened?" She asked smiling.

"Well I was so scared that I couldn't shift and because I'm so small he kept calling me pup." He said annoyed. His mom chuckled.

"What else?". She pressed on.

"He gave me some water. I took a nap. He read a book. I woke up. He gave me a biscuit and he walked me back to the pack". He said simply.

"He doesn't sound scary Charlie. He sounds nice". She said still smiling.

" I know what you are doing mom and no. The answer is no." With that Charlie was done talking.

Nearly two weeks passed and although no more tears were shed Charlie refused to leave his room. No amount of pleading from friends to go hang out, or from his mom to help her at the pack house, which normally he loved doing. Even his dad asked him to go on patrol with him. Charlie wouldn't budge. He wouldn't even go to the dining room for lunch and his mom relented and brought his meals to him.

By the 12th day she had lost all of her patience for her stubborn son.
"That's enough of this foolishness. Out of bed now, go take a shower and get outside". Her tone meant business and Charlie knew better than to argue with her.

He grumbled, but in his head because she didn't look like she would take kindly to him being sassy.

"Mate?" Garth asked cautiously. He had been asking Charlie to go see the man and Charlie always said no.

"No!" He mind linked. Garth sulked away. He had a shower, put on some clean clothes and admittedly felt better already. He was sad, yes, he was going to reject the man. One thing that puzzled Charlie was that the man didn't even realize that he was his mate. That was odd. The question nagged at him.

"Hey Mom" he called out to her.

"I'm in the kitchen Charlie."

" You know what was weird? The man didn't even know I was his mate. Why is that?" He asked sitting at the counter.

"Really? Oh dear".

"What does that mean? Oh dear. That can't be good".

"Well Charlie it's the wolf that recognizes their mate. He might have lost his wolf. Maybe that's why he doesn't live with the pack.  I wonder who it is". She sounded sad explaining it.

Charlie even felt remorseful. He couldn't imagine life without Garth. Sure he was a pest at times but most of the time he was the best company. He frowned at the thought that the man lived so far away from the pack and without his wolf.

He have his mom a hug, grabbed his light jacket and headed outside. His friends were probably at the skate park so he headed there.

He was halfway there when he could feel Garth getting frantic.

"Mate. Mate is hurt. We have to help him".

Charlie turned around and started running towards the cabin, shifting within seconds and it was Garths panicked energy that spurned him on to go faster.

He felt the adrenaline in his body, the excitement to seeing him again and he was shocked he was feeling that way. He needed to help his mate. His mate needed him!