6). Finding Saturn

Picture of James's cabin

Recommended Song - Saturn by Sleeping At Last

Charlie ran as fast as he could, following the scent that overloaded all of his senses. The smell of vanilla and rain washed over him and he sprinted past the point of being exhausted. Up the hill, up and over branches, climbing the rocky path and still he ran. He came upon the open field and breathed in the magnificent scent of his mate until he howled happily and was off again. Through the shallow creek, he was soon coming to the border of the Silver Creek pack and Charlie wondered if his mate was a member of another pack. He did not know of any member of his pack living this far out.

Anyone except for old alpha James but that would be impossible. He hadn't been seen in years. He heard wolves talk about him in hushed tones. Alpha James had gone rogue they said. He had gone crazy others said. He had died of a broken heart still others said. They all said something different but the looks on their face was all the same. Sympathy and sadness.

This had always bothered the sensitive Omega. Why didn't anyone know? Where was his family? What happened to old alpha James? He dared not to ask, for some reason he felt that was something he shouldn't ask about so he always  wondered but never asked.

Finally he saw it, a small cabin set just behind a group of trees. The vanilla and rain nearly overpowered the excited wolf. He had no plan what he would say, his mind was far too preoccupied with seeing his mate and hadn't taken it a step past that.

He scurried to the door and, too excited to shift and unable to knock, he scratched at the door. No answer. He scratched a little louder and heard some movement from inside. Charlie paced the small porch waiting for his mate to answer.

The door opened a crack. "What do you want?" A gruff mans voice asked.

Darn it, I can't shift to talk. He thought. He whimpered with frustration.

The man opened the door further and Charlie's mouth fell open. The man towered over him, he was built like a tank, had a full beard and a stern frown set on his face.  He looked annoyed with the intrusion. It was his eyes, however, that frightened him. They held a red glow, not the color of rogues eyes, or the deep red of a feral wolf, but still the red glow was there.

Even if Charlie was able to speak at this point he would not have said a word from fright. Never in his life had he been so intimidated by someone. Charlie was an Omega, used to being dominated by everyone around him, but this figure that looked like a mountain, a big scary mountain Charlie thought, terrified him. He whimpered again, wishing he had just an ounce of bravery within him. The man sighed, more with frustration than sympathy. "Come in. Sit down. Don't touch anything".

Charlie slowly made his way inside, trembling with every step. A bowl of water was set in front of him which he lapped up. The man walked to the other side of the cabin, sat in his chair and picked up his book.

Oh this is so awkward. He's reading. What am I supposed to do??? Charlie was about to start panicking, he could feel his heart beating faster and it got harder to breathe.

"Calm down Pup". The man said looking up from his book.

Pup? Pup? I'm not a pup!!!! I'm 18. I'm a man. Sure my wolf is just a smidgeon smaller than everyone else my age, and um, most of the 12 year olds...he thought miserably, giving another small whimper and putting his head down on his paws laying on the floor.

Sigh, this is the worst.  I have to find out who else lives here. I can still smell vanilla and rain. He took in a deep breath and basked in the scent. His eyes became heavy and within moments he was sleeping, the last sounds he heard were the man softly breathing and the turn of the page.

James looked at the pup with concern. Someone must be worried about the young wolf. He would let him sleep for an hour then send him along. It was odd that he found his way here. There is no direct path and it's a long way from the pack. He wondered what brought him to his cabin. Was he lost? He couldn't answer any questions in wolf form and Micah was still hiding so he couldn't help him.

He greatly missed his wolf. He looked at the sleeping pup. His paws were wiggling slightly, James chuckled thinking he must be running in his sleep. He got up to make some tea, occasionally looking over at the sleeping pup.

After his tea and biscuit with cheese, James looked again at the young pup who was starting to stir.

"Can you shift?" James asked setting a biscuit down in front of the young wolf. Charlie looked up and shook his head.

"Ok pup, you better skidaddle off, I'm sure your mom and dad are worried sick. James could have sworn the young wolf scoffed at him. He glared at the pup.

"Anyway, have your biscuit and get on home." James said with finality. Not that Charlie could have argued with him in that state, plus Charlie didn't really argue with anyone.

Charlie resigned that he would not meet his mate that day and he would have to come back again but probably in his human form would be better. He looked up at the older man expectantly, as if he was waiting for him to say something or do something. Nothing was said or done so Charlie merely sighed and headed towards the door.

He looked at James sadly then walked outside, turning to look back every few steps. James watched with curiosity at the young wolfs reaction to leaving.

"Pup?" James called after him. Charlie stopped in his tracks.

"Do you want me to walk you back?" James said slowly walking towards the young pup. For some reason this made Charlie very happy. Yes, he was still intimidated by the dominating man but for some reason he didn't want to leave him either. He wagged his tail and ran back to James jumping up slightly to get a pat.

James laughed heartily, the noise caught Charlie off guard. How could such a scary looking person have such a happy laugh? Charlie continued to circle around the man making him laugh again. Charlie thought it was the best sound in the world.

They made good time, the burly man and the young pup, past the meadow, through the creek, up and under branches. Charlie wondered why the man hadn't shifted because be knew he was on pack land so the stranger must be a wolf. He could see the smoke rising from the chimney of the pack house just a little in the distance. James stopped walking.

"Alright pup. Just follow the rest of the path and you should be ok" the burly man said gruffly yet he smiled. Charlie looked at him, staring intently at the stranger, so much that James looked away awkwardly.

"Well see ya kid" James said as he turned around. Charlie could feel a burn in his heart that seemed to get worse with every passing moment. The scent was fading. He was near tears within moments and he didn't even know why he was crying.

He ran home and jumped into his bed, burying himself in his blankets and fell asleep curled up at the foot of his bed still whimpering.