Chapter 22: Why Do You Love Him?

Anna held an ice pack against her sister's stomach, sitting beside her on the infirmary quietly, both of them watching Queen Helena watch after her son. The mother never took her eyes off her son, not until Magoo gave her a signal and the queen nodded, turning to the other queen in the room.

"May I speak with you for a minute, Elsa darling?" The queen smiled at her.

"Of course, Que-I mean, mama Helena." Elsa shrugged it off awkwardly, sitting on Aiden's bedside. Helena gazed intently at her, focusing in her eyes. Elsa found it a bit uncomfortable, but the queen's face was one to be called gentle and humble.

"Aiden cares about you very much, I can tell by how he looks at you and holds you. He's never cared for anyone but me before, Magoo would even call it a miracle. Tell me, Elsa, what reason did you find in him to love him? But most importantly.. Do you love my son as much as he does to you?"

Elsa's blush spreads on her cheeks, but confidently, she answered with a sly smile Helena took a liking to. "I have fallen for your son after getting to know his past-may not be a pleasant one, but I've been on the same page. I'm impressed, he could smile through it all. He told me how he took an oath to protect you, your grace. I want a man like that, who takes family seriously, because I would do the same if ever for my sister or my other family.

"Beyond it all, he makes me smile and happy every time I meet him, I love his affectionate gestures. Your son's precious, your grace. I would very much like to maintain that smile on his face, his presence and his warmth and kindness to everyone he meets.

"He embraces me every time he senses my discomfort, he whispers to my ear everything will be alright even though we know we're both unsure. He told me to keep in mind, that he'll never break my heart. I have no doubt he wouldn't- because he's Aiden.

"He's the green-eyed prince that protected his mother for fifteen years. He's the goofball that likes horse riding, he's that silly prince who loves to fence. He's the chocolate addict I got to know, he's the Aiden I fell in love with, who loves to take care of me when I'm sick of things I don't want to do but I have to. He's the prince who wants nothing to do with the throne. He's the man I know who would face hell itself just to fend off anyone who wants to hurt me. Yes, that's how much I love your son, Queen Helena. I love Aiden from the bottom of my heart, with fire abilities or not."

The queen was astounded by the other queen's speech, her eyes round and she held back tears; this woman, this queen of Arendelle, loves her son like she knew him so well. Their abilities were complete opposites, but the queen of fearless of it, no doubt. She was willing to take the risk- but you know what, there wasn't a single risk in the first place.

"I know of his powers, and all I can say, is that, it's beautiful. It's nothing to be terrified of. It was unexpected, I burst inside my study to find him summoning a harmless flame. Aiden told me that he never confirmed it officially to me since he thought he might hurt me-but he never did. He could never."

"I'm impressed, you're a wonderful girl, Elsa. I'm just curious, that's all, to know how you love someone. And just from one look at you, you're so loyal. You can read him like a book like I can... You can sense each other's discomfort, you can sense each other's feelings—I have always wondered if–" Helena paused, "If you two are soul mates. I am not being cliché, darling. There is such a thing— even in this dark world."

"I have read a book about it, Queen Helena. Besides being romantic, it's so- fascinating. It said in the book that even if the duo are opposites, the possibility's even higher for them to fall for one another. It also said that one's soul is tangled on the other, and one would do exaggerated things just for the other's safety and well being. It's like a necklace you had all your life, you know it better than anyone else does. One transforms the other's life, like how Elsa broke down Aiden's wall." Anna joined in, then squeals, almost dropping the ice pack but held it frantically before it fell down, but turned up again and gave a big smile,

"You and Aiden possess those... Does that mean?"

Helena beamed happily, "How wondrous. Soulmates are rare."

Elsa was still pondering. Soul mates hold a deep connection to one another, she was rethinking every moment with Aiden to compare to the qualities soul mates have. But the answer was too obvious. They do, indeed, possess those mentioned qualities. But what she thought about was how amazing milestones and changes are.

She used to be this awkward person, this one girl who would hide from the outside world, barely a possibility to meet someone out there. She used to be so naïve about love, well, a love for beyond family relations... It's so pleasant and shocking to think. So many things changed with herself.

Funny. Now I have a soulmate.

No- I have found my soulmate.

A change for the better, she'll say.

But she and Aiden still hold some flaws, no matter what. It's their identity, they make them who they are.

But still.

She has a soulmate...

Did the world spin or something?

Nope. Definitely not.

Suddenly, she felt a hand wrap against her own tightly.

He's awake.