Chapter 14

Callen walked into Jakes room and closed the door, he was broken there was no other word for it, he had thought the team had his back, now he knew better.

Jake stirred as Callen grabbed a bag from the bottom drawer and started putting essentials for his son inside.

He reached over and switched off the monitor realizing that he had left the other part in the lounge with them.

In his heart, he knew Kensi's words were not true. He had waited, but he knew that the danger to Jake outweighed everything, however, the reaction of his team…his former team showed him that he could not trust them to watch his back and by extension his sons'.

Jake was still fast asleep as he wrapped him in his coat and placed him in the car seat, the Tylenol doing its job and letting him sleep off the fever. Callen was grateful for that, as he needed to leave as quietly as possible, he did not want a scene with anyone all he wanted to do was to get his child somewhere safe. With the Team's attitude to Deeks' reappearance he could not be sure that they would put Jake first, nor that they wouldn't throw him 'under a bus' so to speak.

He stopped at the bottom of the stairs, the large bag over his shoulder and his son in his arms and listened as Kensi and Sam argued with Hetty about how unfair it had been for them to have been kept in the dark and how they needed to go and help save Deeks.

Callen blinked his eyes and swallowed quickly at the all too familiar feeling of betrayal rearing its ugly head again. It had been so long that he had actually decided that he could finally let his guard down and trust. Now he knew better.

He walked to the front door, daring anyone to come and stop him, but no one noticed them leave.

As he slammed the door, there was a loud crash from inside. Callen looked back worried he had broken one of Hetty's priceless antiques, but still no one came out.

He sighed, strapped the car seat into the passenger side of the car, and threw the large bag on the other side. "Well Jake it's just you and me, they obviously don't want us here, and not even grandma…Hetty came out for us, so…time to move on son."

He closed the car door gently, took out his badge, and walked to Hetty's front door. He wanted to go it and leave it, yell at them for making him care, but he could not do it, he could not open himself up to hearing about how they wanted Deeks back and how he was being selfish and he was not good enough. He had had enough of that growing up; he was not going to do it again and there was no way he was going to let them do it to Jake, so instead he left it and his cell phone on the small outside table Hetty had by the front door.

He drove around for hours, going to every stash, bolt-hole and hiding spot he had, taking out all the money he had hidden away just for this situation; with a little over three hundred-thousand dollars, he was good to go. He took his fake passports out of the last safe he had hidden, plus the new ones he had had made when he and Jake came back to Los Angeles and he walked back to the car, the sun was starting to rise over the city and Jake was stirring and would need food soon.

He pulled into a diner over forty miles from their last stop, as Jake stirred and got him changed and cleaned up.

"You ok kid?" he grinned as Jake smiled showing his new tooth.

"Hey you got a tooth!" he exclaimed as Jake babbled happily.

He lifted him up and walked into the diner, "Morning." Wanda the server smiled as the handsome man and little boy walked in, "What can I get you?" she asked.

Callen smiled, "Coffee, pancakes and some milk please." He slid into a booth balancing Jake on his knee.

Within moments, Wanda turned up with a highchair and milk in a bottle. "Don't worry, we sterilize the bottles and the teats are new, looks like you both have had a rough night."