Chapter 30

Deeks sat at the large kitchen table listening to the happy chatter of the children and families that were staying in the large shelter.

There were eight families in total, not including Deeks, his mother and Angie who lived there full time.

He ate slowly as the mother's got their children ready for the day, handing out the lunch bags to those children who needed them as they went to catch their school buses. Eventually the hubbub settled down and Caroline looked over at her son who was still stirring his spoon in his bowl of oatmeal.

"Marty?" She asked as she leant over and handed him a coffee, "Are you alright?"

Deeks shrugged, "I'm going to see Monty today and pick up my last paycheck from the LAPD."

"Are you ok to do this?" She asked, "I'm sure we can put it off till Nate gets back if you need too."

Deeks smiled at the care his mother showed him.

"I'm ok Ma, I've been thinking about what I can do now though. I mean I'm not a cop anymore and I'll never be an NCIS agent so where do I go from here?"

"What do you have in mind?" Caroline asked as she sat down.

"I've been watching what you guys do here." He said as he moved his bowl aside, "Is there anyway I can help at all?"

Caroline thought about it, "I suppose you can help out with yard work and some maintenence. But to be honest the one thing we really could use around here is a lawyer that'll work for free. I don't suppose in your time as a cop you came across anyone we could use?" She asked hopefully.

Marty grinned the first full on smile he could remember in a long time.

"Mom....I'm a lawyer, I mean I don't practice, but I still have my law degree and it's in family law." he admitted.

By the time Kensi turned up to pick him up, Marty was talking animatedly with his mother about clearing out a room down the hallway.

"It's got great light and will be perfect." Caroline said.

"But, shouldn't you use that for another family?" Deeks asked.

"Nope. It's been a storeroom for years, we can move, sell or dump the things in there we don't need and paint it up nice and bright. You write a list of everything you will need and we will do our best to get it for you."

"Morning." Kensi smiled as she walked in with Monty by her side.

"Morning...Monty!" Deeks grinned and dropped to his knees as Monty licked him, his tail wagging with joy. "Oh my God I missed you so much!" Deeks exclaimed rubbing his hands over Monty's head and back, "Have you been a good boy for Kensi?" he asked.

"He's been wonderful, Sam spoils him rotten when I take him to work." Kensi smiled.

Deeks looked up, "Hey Kens..."

"Do you have much planned for today, I took the day off. I was hoping that after you meet with Bates we could take Monty to the beach for the day together."

"I'd like that." Deeks smiled, he looked over at his mother, "Is that ok mom, we can start to clear that room tomorrow."

Caroline tousled his hair again, she couldn't seem to get enough of it.

"It's fine, Angie and I will sort through the stuff in that room and see what we can find for you, You have a nice day son,"

She smiled as Kensi and Marty left with Monty walked happily by his master's side.

Standing outside the LAPD Headquarters Deeks found himself rooted to the spot grasping Kensi's hand.

"I...I can't go in there." he said his heart feeling like it was about to burst out of his chest. He had flashes of going in there as Max and killing a police officer. The thought that he was going to be arrested the moment he set foot inside the station wouldn't leave him.