Chapter 33

Callen walked up the path and was surprised and pleased that Deeks came to the door, he was barefoot in jeans and Monty was padding around his legs.

Deeks bent down and patted Monty on the head, "Go find mommy boy." he smiled as the dog went in search of Kensi.

Callen looked at him, properly for the first time in years.

Deeks had lost weight, he looked more toned and more tanned than he had in years, only the wrinkles in the corner of his eyes belayed the years he had lived through.

"Good to see you Callen." Deeks said making no move to shake his head.

Callen gave a curt nod, "You too Deeks." He replied.

Deeks stepped back to allow him entry. "Come into my office and we'll talk."

Callen moved to follow but he noticed the way Deeks was keeping himself under control.

They walked down a corridor, Callen stopped as Kensi walked sleepily out of a room Monty trotting happily at her heels.

"Kensi?" Callen was shocked but not surprised, she knew that Kensi had held a torch for Deeks for a while, and now he was back he assumed that they had either just restarted or had kindled their relationship.

"Callen..." Kensi held onto Callen's arm as Deeks walked into his office. "If you're going to hurt him don't I swear not only will I hunt you down, but Deeks' mother will hunt you down. Ask Sam if you want to know why that is scary." She hissed.

"Kens, I'm not here to hurt Deeks...not at all, just need to sort some things out. That's all." He raised his hands in surrender and stepped back.

"Nate's in there." She warned him.

"I knew he was coming, I need to make sure Deeks is going to be ok."

Kensi wanted to snap at him, but knowing that Callen would turn tail and walk away she kept quiet. She knew that this meeting was important to Deeks, he had known it was coming but it hadn't been until Nate had turned up early that morning that they realized Callen was coming today.

Callen caught up to Deeks who was standing in the doorway waiting for him.

"Deeks? Kensi said I should be scared of your mom. I'm sorry I thought she was dead?"

Deeks smiled, "Get Sam to explain why. She's not dead, the other woman...I thought she was my mother but it wasn't it was her twin." He moved back and Callen could see Nate, he nodded in greeting. "Come into my office." he said and moved to behind his desk.

Callen took in the surroundings.

The furniture was worn and faded, obviously recycled but the room had a light and airy feeling to it. The desk was oak, a few scratches on the feet but it was well worn and loved. There was a large bookcase along one wall the shelves lined with tomes on the law.

Callen sat in the chair that Deeks indicated, "Did you want a coffee or something?" Deeks asked.

"I'm good thanks." Callen replied.

"Let's get on with this then." Nate said, "You both know why we are here." He had taken on the role of mediator for this meeting and it looked like both men were wary of saying the wrong thing.

Deeks sat up hands clasped together on his desk.

"I want to be kept informed on how Jake is doing." Deeks said. "I am not asking for contact. I can't...after what I...Max, did to him, seeing me now would damage him. I want to be given copies of his school reports, a picture or two...maybe be allowed to contribute to his schooling."