Chapter 32

Deeks sat listening to his mother as she gave her statement about what happened to Sam and Jeff at the same time, refusing to go to either the boat-shed or the LAPD precinct citing the fact that she had too much to do to waste time with different agencies measuring their testosterone against each other, then with a smile reminding both men what she had done to the testosterone of the last man to mess with her.

Deeks had stifled a laugh as they both instantly said "Yes Ma'am." and sat meekly at the large kitchen table.

"Deeks, You don't need to listen to this." Versey said worried for his friend.

"As Caroline Deeks' lawyer I am entitled to be here to give her counsel if she so wishes." He said shooting his mother a hopeful look.

"You're a lawyer?" Versey asked.

"Ex- Public defender, my license is current, kept up annually. Hetty made sure it didn't lapse while I was away." Deeks explained.

Sam nodded knowing that Hetty had done everything possible to make sure that if Deeks was able to come back to them fully that he would have something to come back to even if it wasn't NCIS.

"Ok...So if your client would like to tell us what happened." Jeff said and listened intently as again Caroline recapped what happened. All three men in the room wincing when she explained how she had delivered her own brand of justice to the rogue cop.

Kensi was in the backyard watching as Monty ran around sniffing the night air and nudging a lanky teenage boy who was sitting on a bench in the far side of the yard as far away from people as he could get.

She walked around the yard so he could see her coming.

"Hey." She said as she sat near him but not too close, "You ok?" she asked.

The boy shrugged, "Suppose." he replied. "Too many cops in there for my liking."

Kensi nodded, "I know what you mean, you been here long?" he asked.

The boy shook his head, as he turned to her she could see the slight marks of fading bruising. "About two weeks." he admitted. "My mom and little sister are with me, we were lucky. The last shelter we tried wouldn't keep us together as I'm too old to stay with her, mom met Angie and she told us about this place. It's better than the streets." He looked at her, "You coming to stay?" he asked shyly with a slight smile.

She shook her head, "My friend lives here, I just brought him home from the hospital, saw all the cops."

"You Marty's friend?" He asked, "Marty is awesome. Mom says he's a lawyer, he's gonna help to keep my...to keep him away."

"Your dad?" Kensi asked.

The boy gave a curt nod and turned away.

"Don't worry if anyone can do it Marty can."

"Marty can what?" Deeks asked as he walked up to the couple, "Simon, are you monopolizing my girl?" he asked with a grin.

Simon blushed, "Marty!" he exclaimed.

"Your girl?" Kensi asked grinning at Simon. "You know Simon here is twice the gentleman you are, I might let him take me on a date."

"I...I gotta go..." Simon blushed again. "Nice to meet you Kensi."

Kensi smiled, "I mean it Simon, you are a real gentleman and it was a pleasure to meet you. You tell your mother she should be proud of you."

Simon gave Monty a quick stroke and ran inside.

"He's a great kid." Kensi smiled as Deeks sat down next to her.

"He is, you should have seen him when he arrived, he was a wreck. He's blossomed here."