Chapter 24

He was surprised to see Jake sitting up in Gibbs' lap and listening intently as Gibbs read him a book.

Not wanting to disturb the pair he slipped in and sat waiting until Jake looked up at him.

"Hi Daddy," He said his voice a bit stronger.

Hearing his son's voice made Callen's heart soar, he was going to be ok.

"You enjoying the story Jake?" Callen asked.

Jake nodded and smiled carefully as his face still hurt where it was bruised.

"Daddy, this is Mr. Gibbs...he said he was a friend and he has a badge like a policeman. Is it ok if I listen...he was reading The Gruffalo...it's about nice monsters." he rambled.

Callen laughed and walked over picking his son up and kissing him on the head.

"Oh I need to introduce you to Mr. Gibbs." He sat back down with Jake on his knee on the edge of the hospital bed. "Jake Callen, this is Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Also known as Uncle Gibbs." he grinned.

Jake looked up at him quizzically. "Daddy, you got my name wrong?" He looked sad and Callen turned him to face him.

"Jake?"

"I waited a long time to get my name back, the bad man said that my name was Marty... I don't want another name Daddy."

Callen smiled, "Jake...we moved away when you were little and I changed our name, your father remember the policeman in your story? He gave you the name Jake and when I became your daddy I gave you the name Callen, but then we moved and I gave you the name Carter, but Callen is our real name."

Jake sat there, his bottom lip sucked in slightly as he thought about what he daddy said.

He gave a short nod and turned around his blond hair getting caught over his face. He brushed it back and turned to Gibbs holding out his hand.

"Uncle Gibbs....I'm Jake Callen, Me's to pleat you!" he said somberly.

Gibbs suppressed an urge to smile, "Pleased to meet you Jake Callen."

Jake smiled shyly and turned back to Callen. "Can Uncle Gibbs read me more stories?" he asked.

"Maybe later." Callen replied, "We have to pack your things Jake."

Jake looked confused, "Why?"

"Well, I thought maybe you'd want to go home."

Jake climbed off his dad's lap, leaving one hand holding onto his pants and looked up at him.

"Daddy?"

Callen nodded and waited.

"When we go home, do we have to change our names again? I like your face when people call you Callen, you smile more and have less crinkles on your head."

"Crinkles?" Callen asked leaning down to his son as Jake reached his hand up and touched Callen's forehead.

"Crinkles....there..." he clarified.

Callen lifted him up and hugged him carefully not wanting to hurt any bruises that were still healing.

"Jake Callen, I love you and you may be Jake Callen for as long as you need to be, but I know of two people who have been very worried about you and will be pleased to see you if we go home."

"Uncle Bert and Auntie Wanda!" He grinned. "And my bike!" he clapped and grabbed his bag and Sully. "We go now daddy?"

Callen nodded, "Soon, I just have to get some medicine for you from the doctor and sign some forms."