The Sleepover

"Hey!" Betty crossed the short distance to where Jughead was sitting in a booth at Pop's. "I was hoping I'd find you here."

Jughead had seen Betty coming through the door and hadn't been able to wipe the smile off his face since. He picked up his coffee and took a sip, then set it back in it's place. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I have a surprise for you." Betty smiled. She got back up and stood at the counter. "Hey, Pop? Could we get an order of french fries please?"

Pop Tate smiled and nodded at her, and Betty turned to sit down with Jughead.

Jughead stared at her for just a moment before laughing. "Well? Are you going to give me a hint?"

Betty returned his smile. "No, you'll just have to wait and see."

Pop Tate came over to their booth with french fries and topped up Jughead's coffee.

Jughead expressed his thanks and squirted a circle of ketchup in the corner of the basket, then picked up a french fry and swirled it through. "You're really going to sit there and torture me by not telling me what the surprise is?"

Betty picked up a french fry and popped it in her mouth. "I know you love surprises."

Jughead smirked and cocked his head. "I think you're thinking of... you." He popped his own fry into his mouth.

Betty laughed. "I think you're right. But I'm still not telling you. What are you writing?" She chewed on another fry.

"My novel." Jughead said through a mouthful of fries.

"Are you going to let me read it this time?"

"Nobody reads it until it's finished." He said gently. He washed down his food with a swig of black coffee.

"Well," Betty smiled, "if you change your mind, let me know."

Soon, they finished their plate of fries and Jughead took the last swig of his coffee. He saved his work and shut down his lap top.

"Ready to walk me home?" Betty smiled.

"Of course." Jughead picked up his backpack and placed his hand at the small of Betty's back as she strolled out of the diner. It gently hovered over her sweater, never actually touching her.

Betty wrapped her arms over her middle as they walked, the night air making her cold.

"Betts?"

Betty looked up at Jughead who was holding his coat out to her. She accepted, a smile spreading across her face.

"Thanks, Juggie." She shrugged on his jacket, the sleeves falling over her knuckles.

"Do you have any ideas for the Blue and Gold's logo?"

They talked about their newspaper for a couple minutes until finally, they passed Archie's house. Completely dark.

"Well, here you are. Home sweet home." Juggie smiled at Betty.

"Will you come in?" Betty smiled back.

Jughead blanched slightly. "What about your parents? Won't your Mom shoot me if she sees me?"

Betty smiled even larger. "Well, she might. But she won't see you. They're not home." She grabbed Jughead's hand and pulled him towards the house with her.

Jughead couldn't suppress the happy laughter bubbling up from his core. He grabbed her hand and followed her up the driveway.

Betty unlocked the door, and Jughead followed Betty inside and up the stairs.