s i x t y - t h r e e

Chapter sixty-three: Human Puppet

Hey loves! Sorry for the wait! I was so caught up in reading a good book on here that I ended up studying creative writing (literally) and losing motivation for writing mine, thinking it sucks (we all go through that phase haha). But now I'm back, better than ever. I won't edit what I already have written though, only brush up here and there.

PS: I'm naming some of the chapters from here on out. I hope I don't suck too much :D

Don't forget to comment and vote (and vote on the chapters you missed). Pretty please🙏🙏

* * *

Those who make peaceful resolutions impossible will make violent resolutions inevitable.

* * *

Deep breaths, Xander. Deep breaths.

Breathing deeply and closing his eyes for five seconds was the only way Xander refrained from acting on his burning desire, which was to knock all of Carlos's teeth out in one painful blow to his jaw. He opened his eyes and channeled his attention to the beer bottle in hand, his jaw and right eye twitching in the unhinged annoyance that mounted higher and higher, like cascading waves ready to pour over any second.

"You switching teams, Blaze?"

Carlos was a good friend. Honestly, truly. Being the hardcore party-goer he was, always having leggy brunettes and blonds dangling off his bulging, tattooed biceps, and ways and means of getting his hands on any drug desired, there was hardly a dull moment around the dark-haired boy. He wouldn't waste a second in stepping in for his friends if the need arose, and there was an endless supply of conversations about girls, cars, drugs, football, body counts. Those were the 'safe' topics. Carlos was cool. So was Xander. But both were hot-headed and tended to be temperamental, Carlos more so.

The pair were compatible, and as long as they stayed on each other's good side, things were usually pretty smooth.

Usually, because at that point in time, Carlos was annoying. His face was punchable, and more than ever, it all pumped Xander with the cohesive desire to shot to his feet and physically rid Carlos of the sadistic sneer tainting his lips.

More deep breaths.

"Fück off," Xander hissed, his grip tightening on his bottle, Carlos heaving a harsh breath in response. A boiling fury welled up within him as his irritation rose, muscles tensing, eyes cold and hard as they flit back to Carlos's challenging ones, where they locked, long and hard, neither of them spoke nor backed down for the longest while.

Silence.

Glancing between the two of them, Maria's lips twisted to the side.