"He's out of control." Wrath, though he sounded guilty saying it.

"He's grieving." That was Gluttony. "You expect him to be okay with you guys after you shit on him for blowing up on Envy? Right after his parents were killed?"

"You can't say shit, Gluttony! You left the country after they fought for, what was it, 'business stuff'? You have no idea what it was like while you were gone."

"Well I'm sorry, Pride, that I can actually achieve something in life. Oh, there's that look on your face. What, did I hurt your self esteem?"

Someone slammed their hands on the table. "Stop fighting!" Wrath growled. "Do you two want to piss me off? This isn't what we're supposed to be talking about!"

"Case and point," continued Pride, "Greed is---"

"Listening."

Greed stepped out from behind the wall, an eyebrow raised. The others looked like deer caught in headlights---eyes wide, watching Greed.

"So," Greed said, strolling into the kitchen, "dangerous and out of control?"

"Greed---"

"Nuh-uh, Pride, you've said more than enough." Greed wagged his finger at him. Pride sank in his chair a bit, looking like a scolded child. Greed continued. "Is that what you all think of me?"

Silence. Greed took that as a yes.

He hummed, surveying their varying expressions before nodding. "Understandable. I yell at Pride, steal Sloth's watch and Gluttony's ring, and kick Wrath's ass. Oh, and I almost slit Envy's throat that one time. You should be afraid. It's only natural. But I would never hurt any of you with bad intentions. . . anymore." Greed paused, tilting his head. "Physically, I wouldn't. Emotionally, I can't guarantee. But feel free to continue your impromptu meeting."

Greed turned around, stuffing his hands in his pockets. He paused when Envy called his name.

"Greed," he said, standing up from his chair, "we don't think of you as dangerous. . . at least, I don't."

Greed turned around. He met eyes with Envy, staring at him. For a second, he forgot to hate Envy for what he'd done. Then it all came back to him, and his neutral expression changed into one of hatred.

"You should," Greed whispered, but it carried throughout the room. He stared at Envy for a few more seconds, hoping that looks could suddenly kill, before turning and storming off, suddenly angry again.

Out of control.

Dangerous.

Maybe the others were right.

.
.
.

He killed them, Greed thought, pacing in his room and clenching his fists at his sides. He killed them, he ruined everything, I hate him, I hate him-

"Greed?" someone asked, knocking on his door. Greed recognized the voice as Pride.

"What?"

Greed's door was always locked. It was a good thing he'd began taking that precaution, because if Pride saw him pacing around his room, face contorted with anger and some of the furniture turned over, well, Pride wouldn't like that.

"I wanted to. . . apologize."

Pride's voice was strained. it was never easy to swallow down your pride and apologize. It would be even harder for the embodiment of that sin himself. Greed could imagine him beyond the door, face red and eyes closed in concentration as he tried to force the words out.

"Pride," Greed said. "I couldn't care less. Don't force yourself to apologize. It's pathetic."

"I called you dangerous," Pride said, sounding shameful.

"You weren't wrong, for once."

"Greed---"

"Pride, really, I don't care. Go away."

"Just. . . are you okay?"

No.

"Never better."

There was a few seconds of tense silence before Greed heard footsteps departing, slowly fading away into the background.

Greed clenched and un-clenched his fists, anger fading.

I would never hurt any of you with bad intentions, he had said.

Maybe he'd be able to keep his word if Envy stayed out of his sight.