PROLOGUE.

GREED WASN'T EXPECTING any visitors at this late hour. No one was allowed to come up to his office without telling him first, and that was how he knew this wasn't a mortal visitor. Greed disabled the security cameras quickly and grabbed the name plate on his desk, stuffing it into a drawer.

He stood from where he was previously sitting, resting his palms on his desk as he leaned forwards, an eyebrows raised, his expression pulled into a scowl. Of all the people he expected to show up, he didn't expect Envy---the one sin that he wanted to kill more than any.

Envy's eyes landed on Greed's expensive suit and watch. Greed watched his eyes roam around the large office, too. Greed hoped Envy was jealous.

Envy's jaw was clenched, but he didn't comment on the room. Greed kept himself from smiling. He already had the upper hand, and they hadn't even begun speaking.

"Long time no see, Greed," Envy greeted. His silver hair glinted in the moonlight pouring from the window. Greed almost cringed at his voice. He never wanted to see Envy again, and here he was: in Greed's office, in a building which Greed owned. He had some guts to show up.

"Not long enough," Greed said with a fake smile. "So, what brings you to my office, and how long do you need before I kick you out?"

". . . You've grown up since I last saw you," Envy said.

Greed scoffed. "Grown up? I'm the youngest billionaire and CEO of an internationally successful company." Greed's hands came up to fix his tie, tightening it around his neck so it was uncomfortable. "Sure, we'll say that I've grown up."

Envy recognized Greed's gloating. "This was all your parents', though, not yours. You can't really take all the credit, can you?" His tone was sharp. Greed knew he wasn't asking that by accident. He was trying to get under Greed's skin, and---curse that son of a bitch---it had worked. He'd hit a nerve.

"Yes, well, you killed them, didn't you?" Greed spat. "I'm keeping the company up and running while they're 6 feet under, and I like to think I'm doing a damn good job of it."

Envy's expression changed instantly, from one of jealousy to one of guilt. It made Greed sick.

"Greed, you know that Lust and I were being controlled by Lucifer---you know we didn't mean to---"

"That doesn't change what happened," Greed snapped. "I will never, never forgive you, no matter how much you plead."

"Greed---"

"Actually, I won't forgive you, but I'll thank you. If it weren't for you, then the company would have never been handed down to me, and I wouldn't be so rich. After all, money is all I care about, right? We are nothing but the sins we were assigned, isn't that right, Envy?"

Envy flinched. He clearly remembered that argument that he and Greed had just minutes before Greed tried to kill Envy. Greed was yelling at him and Envy had blurted out whatever nonsense came to mind. Having been fresh from mind control, Envy said something so messed up that it made Greed's vision go red with rage.

"Why do you even care that they're dead? You're selfish; you'll have everything they owned for yourself!"

Greed had trembled with rage, brandishing a dagger. "They were my parents. You killed them."

Envy had eyed the dagger, taking a few steps back. "We are nothing but the sins we were assigned. Stop pretending to care."

And then Greed had charged at him and they'd fought. Greed had him on the ground and he was about to kill him, but Pride and Gluttony arrived to pull them apart. Greed fought them, too, desperate for revenge, but he was knocked out and subdued.

Even now, seeing his face, Greed wanted to rush forward and crack his skull between his hands. He wanted justice for his parents, his poor parents who had done nothing to deserve what they got.

But he couldn't kill Envy. That would be completely evil, and he may be one of the seven deadly sins, but he had a standard to hold himself to.

"Greed. . . " Envy reasoned, "I know you won't forgive me. I don't expect you to. But Lucifer is rising, and the seven of us need to---"

"Six," Greed interrupted. "Lust is still being controlled, and whose fault is that, hm? You played both him and yourself right into Lucifer's hands when you saw him becoming closer with Sloth. Jealousy is an ugly colour on you, yet it fits just right."

Envy pursed his lips. "Fine. The six of us---"

"Actually, five, considering I'm not going to help."

"You're making this much harder than it needs to be. You know what's at stake here!"

"You've mistaken me for someone who cares."

"The world might end, damn it, Greed!" Envy hissed. "Why don't you get it?"

"I get it. I just don't care enough to stop it."

"Oh, pull your head out of your ass, would you?"

"No," Greed growled, "you pull your head out of your ass. What do you think we are, Earth's protectors or some shit? This isn't our responsibility. And if you want to take it upon yourself to save the world, go ahead, it's your funeral. Just leave me out of it."

Knowing that Greed was too stubborn to be persuaded, Envy sighed and headed for the door. He turned the knob, and opened the door, but stopped.

"You really are selfish, you know that?" he said quietly.

Greed smiled sweetly. "Selfish is what I do best."

"We'll come for you again, Greed," Envy said. "Your real name isn't hard to find."

"Yet you're not worthy to say it," Greed shot back. "And you never will be."

"I haven't given up on you yet, Greed."

"You should."

Envy left through the door without another word, leaving Greed to stand alone in his office, surrounded by riches and luxury. The encounter left Greed in a burning rage, but he didn't like how silent his office was now that Envy was gone.

After all, Envy was the first to ever visit his office and talk to Greed about something that didn't involve business deals.

Greed sat back down, ignoring the silence and emptiness. This was normal. This was his everyday. He'd best not wish for more when all the universe had ever done was take from him.