TWENTY SEVEN

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN; NONREFUNDABLE TICKET

It brought a sweet rush to her fingers knowing that this was indeed, an illegal substance. She lit it up and watched as the tube before her lips filled with the white tendrils of burning toxins. She let it fill up, the tube being now filled with the white substance. She then sucked in and felt as that sweet burning sensation curled throughout her lungs and throat, ripping its way to her head she finally let it out in a huge cloud watching the light create abstract colours out of the light mist still hanging in the air.

Today was the day that Michael would return from his treacherous travels, and to celebrate his come back, Caroline decided to join Polly in awaiting for his appearance. In all honesty, Caroline hadn't given the man much thought upon his departure because she wanted to withdraw from their lavish lifestyle in exchange for something new and forget about their tales of woe that came along with being a Shelby, but in particular, she hadn't thought about him due to the fact she owed it to Thomas to remain loyal to the marriage he so desperately wanted to save.

"Not long now, Pol." Caroline smiled, swallowing her nerves.

And she was correct. The second the words left her mouth, Michael - dressed as handsome as ever in matching tan attire - exited Snow Hill Station, surrounded by members of the gang. Though, when his eyes landed on Caroline, he seemed a bit more perplexed than he had previously, as if it were an indecency to cross her path once more.

"Hello, mum. This is Gina - Gina Gray." Michael introduced a woman before his mother with a proud smile. "The captain married us on board. She's my wife, mum. At least look at her."

Caroline muttered under her breath as she watched the cold reunion. "I certainly am."

"Tommy said to ask you to tell me the truth." Polly removed her sunglasses, stern.

The American interjected. "We've been travelling for fifteen days, Missus Gray. Maybe we could talk about this at another time."

Michael nodded to his wife. "Yes. Let's go home and talk."

"You have no home until you tell me the truth." Polly stepped forward. 

"Here?"

"Yeah."

"Michael!" The red telephone booth swung open to reveal Arthur who strode with open arms. "Hello, love. Welcome to Birmingham, eh?"

Polly warned. "Michael."

Michael began to spew what seemed to be the truth. "Our ship docked at Belfast. I was then taken off the ship by two men."

"At gunpoint." Gina pointed out.

To which Polly bit back. "I'm speaking to my son."

"Fuck you."

"No, fuck you!" Caroline then stood before Polly and shoved Michael hard on the chest, causing the man to step back several places. "How dare you speak to your mother with such disregard and disrespect. After all, she is the only person who isn't willing to slit your throat after your foolish shenanigans!"

Michael growled, clutching Caroline's thin arm with aggression as the world seemed to melt away in their hold. "Fuck you even more, eh? Making me feel like you wanted me when all you really did was use me as a toy during the breakdown of your marriage."

"It wasn't like that and you know it." Caroline seethed. "But no matter the hurt, you passed it onto someone else, because as I look into your eyes, I see that you still care for me but you married last minute. Correct me if I am wrong, but I sense that you have done this purely to subside the feelings you have left for me."