SIX

CHAPTER SIX; BLACKBIRD

Caroline banged feverishly on the office door, but to no avail. With each thrust Arthur made into his sacred wife, the walls of the building shook, gracing the woman's ears with lustful moans. It felt like forever, but soon enough, Arthur surfaced from the pits of hell, abandoning his own devil who made him feel like a God, even if it was for only five minutes.

"Took you long enough!" She growled as she and Arthur made their way through their business building. "I thought I was going to go have to go in there and pull you out myself!"

"Wouldn't have been a wise choice, love. I would've stained that awfully nice blouse of yours."

Into the belly of the establishment, Caroline and Arthur made their way down the steps, only to glower at the sight of two underclass men throwing red paint all over their equipment. Caught essentially red-handed, they paused, taking the appearance of deer caught in headlights, but their pay was much more than the Shelby's, so they continued to ruin their previous work placement.

"What is this, a party? Fuck off out of it! Get out!"

As the two men rounded the corner and scurried out, Arthur and Caroline took the wrongful stride in their direction. Suddenly, the pair were doused in red paint, dripping in the substance with utter horror, however, Arthur didn't care. With all that was going on in his head, he needed to retrace his grotesque steps and fulfil his vengeful appetite, and so, he dropped his hammer, ready to attack with his own fists.

"Okay, I wasn't going to hit ya." Arthur grumbled with a pointed finger. "But that wasn't fucking nice!"

Both men grunted like pigs with each punch they sent each other's way. In the paint, the man slipped and Caroline took the opportunity to land kicks to his stomach, causing him to roll onto his side to avoid the blows, only to hold his hands up in surrender when he saw Arthur step out from beside Caroline with the hammer he'd dropped previously.

"Arthur, mister Shelby! Please!"

"Don't fucking move!"

"Sorry, mister Shelby. Please, please!"

"Get out!" Arthur watched the man flee. "Fuck you and your revelation!"

Caroline scrubbed her skin with a ragged cloth, but to no avail would the paint subside. 

Their ambush was only just beginning. Upon hearing heavy footfalls from behind them, Arthur and Caroline cautiously peered to one another through manic eyes, then to see the shadow of two men making their way through the back door, cloaked and sporting wide hats that could only be identified to be Mafia attire.

And, they were correct. The men appeared within the building with their guns pointed directly towards the English gangsters, and when the bullets flew without warning, Arthur forced Caroline to duck as he pulled her to safety, taking cover behind a wall.

"What the bloody hell do we do now, Arthur?" Caroline panted with wide eyes. "We're trapped!"

"No we're not." Arthur grumbled with his finger suggesting to the gap in the ceiling. "We'll climb through here. Follow quietly."

It was a tight squeeze, but Caroline was not going to be taken away from her family that easily, meaning, she was now fired up and out for blood, craving the metallic twang on her tongue like a cigarette she hadn't touched in a year, but revenge was all the more satisfying. Stained in red paint, she sluggishly trailed her body behind Arthur's, awaiting the perfect moment to strike.