SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN; DARK KNIGHT RISES

Caroline turned to her brother, his face tight, every thought focused on masking his fears - his eyes dimmed. Oscar reached out and hugged her tightly, his arms as shields of love, a hug so warm yet so different than a motherly embrace. When they finally parted, Caroline felt his absence as a cold wind, wishing she could keep him wrapped around her like a well worn sweater for always.

"It was a beautiful sendoff, Ossie." She murmured soothingly. "I wish grief wasn't a reoccurring theme in this family, because I have no words great enough to comfort you."

"I'm used to it now - I'm used to everyone I love leaving me."

Caroline frowned sympathetically. "There's still time for you to leave alone. I can help you pack your things and I'll steal four year's worth of money and put it into your suitcase."

"Not when I have a daughter to look out for."

"You gave up your privileges as a father when you signed the contract." She rubbed his shoulder. "You know she is better off with Thomas and I, don't you? That way you can start over your life as a normal teenage boy."

"Nothing about this life is normal, Caroline. We're criminals."

"I don't hear you complaining when you wipe your ass with hundreds of pounds."

In a turn of events, Oscar stood retreated from the window and plopped himself onto the sofa to where guilt consumed him so vigorously that he held his head in his hands, clawing at the side of his head for relief, but the loss ate him alive. Just like his sister, nobody could save him but himself. He had to ride the wave of emotions out on his one and hopefully, she current would bypass, but all he could foresee in his future was a horrific storm that would destroy everything in its path, including his love life.

He could write a million letters, each one the same as the last in sentiment and cadence. They stay the same, only the word arrangement changes. It boiled down to one thing, he missed her. Ultimately, no one knew if that was selfish or not and even if it was, to hell with the rest of the world and their opinions. She should be there, holding his hand with the other cradling their baby. Her pretty blue eyes, beautiful smile, wily heart, torn mind, and kind, tortured soul. His heart was missing an integral piece, a part that kept it from working correctly. When would he let go?

"Is that how much this lifestyle is worth to you?" Oscar spoke bitterly. "Pounds?"

"I mean, it is quite a lump of cash." Caroline pursed her lips when her halfhearted comeback didn't get the response it deserved. "True love is the cost of this lifestyle. I found it and made it, so I have no other choice nor option but to stay. You, on the other hand, have nothing to lose."

Contemplating, Oscar licked his chapped, salty lips. "Do you really want me to leave?"

"Yes. I cannot bare to lose another loved one."

"Then leave with me."

"The children and I are much better protected by Thomas. I cannot leave the Peaky Blinders, especially not Polly at this crucial time."

It is the cruelty of life that a heart can keep on beating even after it has been broken in two. It can feel as though it has been gripped in an ice-cold vice and ache as though it will implode in your chest, but still the thumping continues, and the rate deafened Oscar's ears, because all he could focus on was his erratic heartbeat.

"Okay."

"Okay? You're not going to put up a fight?"

"You're right." Tear stricken, Oscar rose to his feet. "I'm better off out there than here. Surrounded by her family will only remind me of her and-"