TWENTY TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO; FAMILY FIRST

"It's over, mister Mosley." Caroline announced without deceit. "I have a life to live and it doesn't consist of resting. I must return to those I hold dear."

Oswald suppressed gritted teeth but couldn't hide his glare. "So, you used my feelings for weekend entertainment?"

"If you have feelings just days after speaking, then I feel sorry for you."

"I don't need your sympathy." He almost snarled. "I am greatly embarrassed by your lack of consistency."

Caroline pursed her lips, amusement twinkling in her brown eyes. "Desperation doesn't suit sore losers. I suggest you refrain from making such a fool out of yourself."

Before he had the opportunity to reply in protest, Caroline had already made her way down the corridor, down the stairs and out into the open in search for the train station, shaking her head in dismay, wondering what could possibly have made her believe it was alright to indulge in an eligible woman's lifestyle whilst her innocent children remained at home.

It wasn't long before she found her way to the station. The raucous, metallic shriek heralds the arrival of the decrepit carriage, standing in defiance of its condition - all corroded iron and tacky upholstery. The doors reluctantly eases open with the force of a stocky station guard, as if gripped by age, the handles stiff with arthritis.

As she clambered aboard the steam express, Caroline fondly remembered how she threw Grace Burgess's body onto the tracks, but her grin faltered, recalling how Campbell remained injured and alive due to her own carelessness. Despite their gruesome demises, she exhaled deeply and slumped back onto the chair in preparation for a long journey to return home.

***

Ivy and ferns grew through the crevices of the old winding stone path, which led directly to the colossal structure. The mansion loomed proudly behind creaky iron gates, flanked by rows of skeletal trees crowned in crimson, swaying gently to the chilly autumn wind. At its threshold stood the delicate circle of the roundabout, the plush green grass tickling her ankles as she admired her rightful property.

She had lost so much. From her primary family to members of her secondary, to the disintegration of her sanity to her love life. She couldn't imagine what life would have been like if she didn't conquer her hardships, but she couldn't imagine letting them defeat her, which is why she had to retreat back to her home land, for one last battle.

 With a small sigh, she had been cut short from her dreary reminiscences, because when she heard a gigantic creek, she peered up, only to beam when she saw a figure half her size running towards her with open arms.

"Mummy!"

"My baby boy. Oh, how I've missed you."

"Aunt Pol and daddy said you were sick." Charlie muffled into his mother's neck. "Are you feeling okay now that the hospital gave you medicine?"

She smiled politely and kissed his cheek affectionately. "I've never been better, honey, so don't worry about me."

"I almost forgot!" Charlie stood up and began to pull his mother towards the front door. "We have a new pet. It's a dog!"

Caroline froze with a raised brow. "A dog? Your father prefers horses."

"We adopted Alfie's." A harsh tone startled her from ahead.