Chapter 1

Alright guys this is only the first chapter.  More to come!  I added a picture of Lacey on the side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bam.  Sometimes the pain just hits you out of nowhere, like freight train in the middle of the desert.  This was one of those times.  I would have started full on bawling but my little brother, Nate, is fast asleep on my shoulder.  Being seventeen and him only thirteen, it is my job to look after him.  Nate looks adorable when he sleeps.  Adorable, but so vulnerable.  His surfer blond hair is messy from the long flight in these uncomfortable airplane chairs and his trademark Volcom tee and skinny jean ensemble is a little crumpled.  I have had the other 13 year olds in his grade come up to me to tell me how hot my brother is.  He has never even had a girlfriend...  Silent tears stream down my face as I realize my parents won’t be there too watch either of us get our first kiss, graduate, marry, become parents… 

The list continues, but there is no time to dwell on it because Nate is starting to wake up.  I can’t let him see how much I’m hurting.  Not when I know he is, too.  I grasp the golden heart locket that hangs around my neck 24/7.  It was the only thing that survived the fire that burnt everything I love to the ground.  Nate groans next to me, only just remembering that we are on a plane to California, so I swallow the sobs, wipe the tears away, and force a smile onto my face.

“Hey, Sleepy,” I whisper.

“What time is it?” Nate mumbles, still in that fantasy land between sleep and wakefulness where you are always safe.  Yeah, right.  The human mind needs to stop telling us that we are safe. Or that it will be okay. Because we all know that isn’t true.

“It’s already six in the morning, bud.  You’ve slept almost the entire trip!  Hey, are my eyes red yet?” I say opening them as wide as I can.  He lets out a breathy laugh and shakes his head. “Thank God!  Red is definitely not my color.”  That comment brings on another laugh.  Our flight is scheduled to arrive at seven. We are making good time, so I would guess we will be at the Collin’s house around nine.

Mr. and Mrs. Collins were my parents’ best friends from high school. Apparently they had made an agreement a few years back. Basically it said, “Shall I drop dead suddenly, you guys get my kids.”  This means Nate and I end up with four guys and a girl as roommates for the rest of our lives.  It's a good thing I can move out in a year.  But I would feel so bad leaving Nate behind.  I figure he will get along fine with the guys, but honestly I’m feeling a little freaked out about how I will handle it.

It must have registered on my face because Nate says, “Don’t worry, Lace.  You will make tons of friends.  In fact, I think you should give me a dollar for each new friend you meet. I will be rich by the end of the week!”

“Ha. Ha,” I replied with sarcasm dripping from my voice. “Aren’t you a little comedian?”

“Why, I didn’t think you noticed,” he murmmers in a seductive voice, closing the space between us like he was going to kiss me.

“Ewww!!! Get away from me you freak!” I scream making several people in the rows next to us look over.  I push Nate off of me and start laughing. “God, Nate, what would I do without you?”

“Die from embarrassment?”

“It was a rhetorical question!”

“Didn’t seem like it to me.”

“I love you, Nate,” I say suddenly.  I was shocked at what just escaped my mouth.  The words had been locked inside of me for so long, but I know they weren’t a mistake.  Nate’s mouth was gaping at the sappy remark I had made.

“I love you more,” he replied with an ear-to-ear grin. Then he placed his head carefully back on my shoulder, and slept.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some super cool things planned though so stay with me!  Chapter two will be up soon!!!  Oh and BTW if any of you want to make me a cover that would be SO COOL!!!!!! So private chat me and I can give you some secret details if you need them!!!  Thanks guys!!!!