Chapter 17: Cat's Out of the Bag

The morning light shone through the slight opening between two drapes in Elsa's study, kissing Prince Aiden's pale skin from his forehead to his leg that was crossed relaxed on top of his other. His emerald green eyes stared at the flame he did on his open palm; his silky locks of black hair blown by his mouth in boredom.

He looked like a perfect painting.

His soft pink lips pursed, his finger touching the flame that he produced in his palm, yet his finger didn't get a single burn.

"Aiden?"

Aiden's eyes widened to find a shocked and bewildered queen at the entrance of her own study, the tray of food being placed on the table. Elsa's eyes were not of fearful; they weren't one of horrified; they were ones of amazed.

She approached him quietly, which almost frightened the poor prince she wanted to touch the flame. He was shocked by himself, too. He should've made the flame die, should've slammed his hand back into his pocket like nothing happened.

But no, because she was curious.

But why?

She sat on his lap, peering over his chest to see it once again. Her eyes went round for a few seconds like a little child touching a flower curiously.

"It's... It's so beautiful.."

Her whispers tickled his ear, but blessed his soul.

His powers... Beautiful?

As in... Admirable?

The thought of the beauty of flames never crossed his mind, it was unbearable to think. His mother had always spoken about their special abilities, and for Aiden, he doesn't know which words to believe.

His mother always told him that it's a beautiful gift, it's nothing like what his father always yell at his mother at all. It radiates, it gives warmth, it produces heat, produces life, produces survival...

"Aiden, little love," Helena once smiled, lifting his chin, "It also thaws and reheats the cold of our hearts. Don't forget that." A pair of emerald green eyes stared up at its mother's, a small smile in the child's lips, "Okay, mama."

But his father...

That, thing is demonic! That's not a gift at all, Helena, that's some reason our subjects will call you a witch! The freak of the kingdom!

You demon! It will sabotage our kingdom's future, in fact, it could even BURN down our kingdom's future!

You wretched woman, get out of my sight! 

It was a cross-bridge between heaven and hell.

It was a cross-bridge between sugar coatings and salt.

Tears trickled down his cheeks as he thought of the violent and hurtful words his father said to his mother when he was seven.. They struck his heart like the tip of his own sword; it was how threatening his father could be to his mother.

Elsa then turned to face him directly, holding his hands, noticing how the flame disappeared from his palm. Her mouth opened, but nothing came out once she found the small waterfalls that cascaded down his pale cheeks. She quickly pulled out a small white cloth from her pocket, "Oh, honey, why are you crying?" She cooed softly, cradling his head.

Aiden wiped his tears with a smile, "Y-you, really think they are beautiful?"

Elsa nodded her head vigorously, "Yes, because they really are. Flames aren't deadly as other people think it is."