CHAPTER-ONE

"This weather reminds me of my grandmother's, rancid outhouse," Clint said," explain to me why we're always getting called-out, in this blasted weather for?"

"Whack jobs," Adam answered, his partner with amusement as he slid his '1995, S351 Saleen Mustang in beside a Dallas black and white.

The flashing lights cast eerie gloom over the thick woodland park, illuminating an ambulance and the two unmarked police vehicles, that had homicide written all over them.

"Well, shit," Clint said, pointing to the nearest patrol car, as he continued his rant on bad luck.

"We've got cops coming out of our asses. And now, we've got to deal with the whole damn Dallas police force."

Adam's hand lifted the emergency brake, then killed the car's engine. "I'm going to assume, that your date with Misty last night didn't go as planned, and it has temporarily tainted your attitude. But, if you're going to keep acting like a jackass through the investigation, I'm putting in for a new partner."

Beside him, Clint casually stretched his arms, then flashed him a smoldering smile, the same smile that had made him a celebrity among the females. "You need to learn to relax, man. Besides, I'm the only person in headquarters, that can put up with your moody ass."

Adam grabbed his umbrella off the floorboard and shoved open the Mustang's door. "For the record, working with you isn't a pleasant trip through the park."

"Awe, shucks, you're making me blush," Clint said and fell in step beside him. They trudged toward the officer in a rain-soaked trench, who was currently roping the area off with crime scene tape.

The young officer stiffened as they approached, his eyes weaning like a deer caught in the headlights. Little punk. Adam thought as the officer held up a hand to stop them. As if his hand could stop them.

"You might want to step aside, junior," Adam said, flashing his badge out of politeness, but not bothering to slow as he lifted the crime scene tape and started to slide underneath.

"I'm sorry Sir," the officer said, "But, no one is allowed through."

"We have jurisdiction here, kid," Clint said, starting nails at the guy. "Move, your caboose rookie, and let us pass."

The officer's face went through the traditional mishmash of confusion before smoothing out and smiled in cooperation.

"Detective Lang is over there." He said and pointed to a woman with Scarlet tinted hair. "She's in charge."

"Not anymore," Clint said.

Adam followed his partner under the police tape, unable to conceal his grin. "Do you ever get sick of screwing with people's minds?"

"Nope. I enjoy it," Clint said. "Comes in handy with the females, too."

"I bet it does. However, your little tricks last night didn't work on Misty."

"Low-blow man, even for you. You might as well of just kicked me in the balls," Clint said, pressing his palm over his midsection. "I'm severely hurt."

Adam shook his head at his partner's theatrical behavior, but he didn't bother to respond.

Lang had already spotted them and was walking over with her angelic, flawless face pinched. "Wait just a minute, stop right there," she said. "Mind telling me who you men are and why you're trespassing on my crime scene?"

"I'll tell her the bad news," Adam said, pulling his shield from the pocket of his jacket. "Unfortunately, sweetheart, it isn't your crime scene anymore. "I'm Adam Saleen." He nodded to Clint, "My partner, Agent Clint Shawl."