Chapter Six

Bruce, Percy, and Alfred were currently in Bruce's study. Alfred stood by the door with his hands behind his back and Percy sat across Bruce, who sat behind his desk. An uncomfortable silence surrounded the two, well, uncomfortable to Percy at least. Alfred just stood with an emotionless expression as though he felt nothing at all and watched the two. Percy looked anywhere but at Bruce and started tapping the arm of the cushioned wooden chair that he sat in subconsciously.

During the silence, Bruce studied Percy, from his unhealthy state to his every movement. He leaned back in his chair, making it creak with the sudden shift in weight. Percy felt that Bruce was making it uncomfortable on purpose, but he couldn't really prove that. The demigod felt the eyes of the man burn against his skin, almost like they were looking through him like he was glass. They made him feel like the man was learning everything about him with just a gaze, making him uncomfortable. Thankfully, Bruce finally broke the silence after a minute by clearing his throat and spoke.

"Right, well, do you know why you're here?", Bruce met Percy's eyes.

The demigod shuddered at the eye contact. He got the impression that he was in trouble which made his heart drop into the pit of his stomach. Beads of sweat ran down his forehead as he looked at his lap. His mouth dried and he gulped. "I-", he averted his eyes as he sat straighter. "I don't."

"You were found in an alley, hurt, and unconscious. Can you tell me how you ended up that way?", Bruce's voice was low and he tried to be empathetic with the boy, but Percy was focused on one thing: that he could be in trouble.

Percy wrung his fingers. He knew he couldn't tell Mr. Wayne the truth and he couldn't exactly say, I was attacked by a dracaena or say, I'm scared of water. He doubted the man would even believe him anyway. For that reason, he gave the best lie he could come up with or really, just part of the truth. "I... I fell on the glass in the alleyway when it started raining."

     Bruce seemed to tell Percy was hesitant with his answer because he avoided eye contact and wrung his fingers or he was wrong and the boy was simply nervous being put on the spot. He didn't want to jump to conclusions and decided he'll go with Percy's answer for now. "Okay.", Bruce simply stated.

     That simple statement, however, caused Percy to tense. He thought that meant Bruce didn't believe him and that he was in even more trouble. His mouth opened and closed with an audible gulp. He couldn't find the words to say and just felt like breaking down. His chest felt heavy and it was hard for him to breathe. He felt like he was drowning or choking.

Alfred, noticing this, walked to Percy's side and placed a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder while facing Bruce.

Percy whipped his head at Alfred in panic but soon relaxed since it was just the butler. The demigod found Alfred's gesture to be comforting and just looked at his lap until Alfred spoke.

"Master Bruce, I believe that the boy should eat lunch. It's well past noon and I'm sure the lad is starving.", Alfred glanced at Percy from the corner of his eye.

     As if on cue, Percy's stomach agreed with the butler, making Percy's face heat up and hug himself. "S— Sorry... I'm not hungry, you don't have to feed me. Wait, that sounds weird. I mean, you don't have to give me food. That doesn't sound right either... Well, I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm just not—", Percy was cut off by Bruce.

"It's fine, Percy. Alfred.", Bruce didn't need to say anything to the butler as Alfred already knew what he wanted him to do.

"Of course, Master Bruce.", Alfred answered before he looked at Percy and gestured for the lad to follow him.

Percy looked at Bruce for a 'no' or 'stay', but when none came, he tentatively stood and followed the British butler out the door of Bruce's study. Percy closed the door slowly, trying to be as quiet as he can. Once the door shut with a faint click, he breathed a sigh of relief.

     Alfred chuckled lightly before patting the boy's shoulder. "Right then. This way, Master Perseus."

—————

Song: Michael Bublé - Forever Now

A/N: Hey, how's everyone doing? I hope everyone is having a good year so far. Abluvion is officially back up. I'm sorry for this chapter being short. I hope to make it up in the next chapter. :)

—Alistair