Chapter Four

A steady beeping sound woke Percy from his dreamless sleep. It annoyed him how he was finally able to sleep peacefully since the war only to be woken up by annoying sounds. He reached his hand to the side subconsciously, thinking that it was his alarm clock. That's when he realized he didn't have an alarm clock nor was he at camp. He sat up with a start which made him dizzy by the sudden movement. The bright light made his eyes close with black and white specks dancing in his vision. He clutched the side of his head and blinked his eyes, adjusting them to the lighting. A groan escaped his lips from the forming headache of being knocked out.

After the pain and dizziness had subsided, he took in his surroundings. He was in a small hospital room. It had white walls that were peeling, giving an old effect, and a dirty cream ceiling. A small table was on the right side of his hospital bed, even the annoying source of the steady beeping. A heart monitor stood next to his bed with its wires connected to him. An IV stood against the small table near the heart monitor and was connected to his antecubital fossa, letting the necessary fluids enter his body. He watched the IV drip chamber for a moment like it were an hourglass. He looked down at his chest and noticed that instead of wearing his Camp Half-Blood shirt, he was wearing a baby blue hospital gown. A blanket was covering his hips and down, hiding his nude body. He lifted up the hospital gown, revealing the heart monitor's electrodes latched onto his chest. He grabbed them and ripped them off his chest, causing the heart monitor to whine.

Upon hearing the flatline, two nurses rushed in with panic etched onto their faces. Once they noticed Percy was awake and staring at them, they sighed in relief. Percy just looked at the two women tiredly, not even bothering to assess if they were threats or not. One of the nurses wore black scrubs, her brown hair up in a messy bun. She walked to the heart monitor and turned it off. The other nurse had black hair that was in a neat bob cut and wore purple scrubs. She walked toward Percy and stood beside his bed, facing him.

     "Hey, Sweetie, anything hurt or bother you?", the black-haired nurse asked as she brought a caddy over with multiple devices to check vitals.

Percy only shook his head in response. Nothing hurt or bothered him, his wounds were numb to him by now. They weren't as bad as his past wounds and... torture. He glanced between the brown-haired woman on his right and the black-haired woman on his left, watching their movements.

"Sweety, I'm going to take your temperature, can you say 'uhh' for me.", the black-haired woman said, holding an electronic thermometer. "I'm going to put this under your tongue."

     Percy looked at the black-haired woman with narrowed eyes before he looked forward, completely ignoring her existence. This seemed to strike a nerve in the nurse as she huffed.

     "I need to take your temperature.", she repeated with strain in her voice.

     The demigod just sat, staring at a spot in the wall. His lips were chapped from the lack of moisture and his eyes a dazed murky green. His skin still a sickly pale, if not worse. The bags under his eyes were more prominent than before.

     "Liz, there's obviously something wrong, don't push it.", the brown-haired woman scolded with concern in her voice. "I'll go get the doctor."

'Liz' lowered the electronic thermometer and put it back in the caddy reluctantly. "Fine."

The brown-haired woman nodded before she looked at Percy with a small smile and walked out of the room.

"Are you sure nothing is bothering you?", Liz asked Percy again gently with concern.

Percy nodded with an emotionless expression, not leaving anyway for the nurse to read him. His eyes were guarded, but the nurse could make out the sorrow in them. The nurse watched him in awe. He was like winter. Void of life, but also there like a tree in the snow. Beautiful and cold, yet lifeless.