Tick Tick

Clarissa gasped as she was thrown against the back of the wall, Jeremiah beside her, a small smile on his face. She'd heard the explosion, one of Jeremiah's bombs gone off right where it mattered. 

"How many bombs are there? Where are they?" snarled Gordon, grasping Jeremiah's shoulder in one hand, and Clarissa's forearm in the other. Jeremiah merely chuckled as he said, "We want to talk to Bruce Wayne."

Gordon's fist flew into Jeremiah's cheek, and Clarissa snarled at him. 

"Shut up," he spat at her, then turned back to Jeremiah.

"Tell me where they are you son of a bitch. Who's helping you?"

"Bruce. Wayne." said Jeremiah, the smile still on his face as another punch clocked across his jaw.

"Leave him alone!" hissed Clarissa, but Gordon ignored her.

"You're never gonna talk to Bruce Wayne, you hear me?" yelled Gordon, and the smile grew wider across his face as he reached for Clarissa's hand. 

"Then more people will die," he said, giving Clarissa a sidelong glance. "But you never were good at holding on to what you care about, were you James?"

Gordon's face fell, but as he went to speak the door opened and Harvey Bullock yelled at him. 

"Ooh they need you, do they?" Clarissa spat, and as Jim left, Jeremiah sank to the floor, humming Ode to Joy as he gently pulled Clarissa down beside him. 

"Well that was an utter waste of our time, my dear," he said, and Clarissa rolled her eyes.

"They think they have control, but they don't."

"Very astute of you, darling."

He leant over so that he rested on her shoulder, closing his eyes for a brief moment. Clarissa turned her face and kissed the top of his head. Jeremiah made a small noise and said "That was nice. You should do that more often."

Clarissa giggled quietly, and kissed him again, feeling the soft strands of his hair tickle her lips. It was then that she paused, and asked: "You think Brucie will show up?"

"They'll make him."

"You think so, J?"

"I know so, darling. Just you wait."

Clarissa settled beside Jeremiah, her eyes on the floor, spotted with dust and blood. Jeremiah was silent, probably thinking of his next brilliant move. The bombs were already going off, thanks to Mr Al Ghul, but Clarissa was unsure if the plan would work. The police were swarming everywhere, and both she and Jeremiah were trapped. 

"See?" said Jeremiah, and Clarissa perked up as footsteps sounded outside the door. A tall man, Bullock, edged through the door with a few associates and looked down at them with both resignation and disgust on his face.

"If you want to talk to Bruce Wayne, then you'll be tied up, ok?"

"Very well," said Jeremiah, and he rose to his feet before helping Clarissa up. She let herself be tied across her chest, with her arms behind her back, but she couldn't help snapping at the man who got too close as he tried to tape her mouth shut. 

"Back off, Mista."

The man grunted and retreated, and they were left alone for a few minutes, except for two guards. Clarissa couldn't quite see the one behind her, but she was sure he was armed like his friend. Would an escape be possible? Not when she was tied up. She wriggled her hands, seeing how tightly she was bound and cringed as whatever bound her cut into her skin. Suddenly, the door opened, and Bruce Wayne walked in. Emotions covered his face and body, a mix of his annoyance, disgust, fear of the safety of Selina, disappointment and apprehension.