Dearest

"What's your name?" asked the red-headed boy. Behind him, his quieter twin watched with interest. The friendly one, whose bright smile was full of cheek and playfulness, held out a hand towards her, and the slowly took it. Her braids were messy, and there was still blood running down her leg from the cut on her calf. She didn't even seem to notice, and this interested Jeremiah. Watching from behind Jerome, he watched as the girl ran the back of her hand down her leg, catching the blood, before wiping it in the cloth of her checkered dress. The red fabric didn't quite hide the dark stain that now marred the already tattered fabric.

"Clarissa Halliwell," replied the girl. 

"Pretty name," said Jerome, a dashing grin on his face. Jeremiah stayed back, leaning against the wall of the nearest caravan. Clarissa's eyes met Jerome's, and a small smile flickered across her face.

"Who are you?" she asked, and Jerome bowed.

"Jerome Valeska, at your service."

Jeremiah rolled his eyes, brushing dust off his collar. Even at his young age, he felt grown up, as though he was destined for more than a circus life. Clarissa laughed, and then looked directly at Jeremiah. He felt his cheeks heat up, and Jerome snickered.

"Jeremiah."

Jeremiah looked at Jerome, who gave him an evil look that Clarissa didn't catch. She was still looking at Jeremiah, into his green eyes, his proper, intelligent face. Then she looked at Jerome, the polar opposite; wild, untamed, crazy.

"Those are nice names too,'' said Clarissa and Jeremiah nodded his thanks.

"Well, dollface, we should show you around, shouldn't we?" said Jerome, and he took Clarissa's arm, leading her away. Jeremiah paused for a moment, then followed after. This new girl, left at the circus for a little over two weeks now, had been quiet and mysterious since she'd arrived. Jeremiah wondered where her parents were. Or if she even had any. She'd been ordered to begin training with the magician. Jeremiah wondered why. Neither he or Jerome had ever been part of the circus, though he knew Jerome wanted to. Jeremiah shook his head, and caught up to his twin at the animal cages. Clarissa was watching with interest as one of the monkeys played with a small rubber ball. Jerome was chatting loudly, and Clarissa was laughing. 

"There you are," said Jerome, sounding annoyed that Jeremiah had decided to follow. Clarissa looked around and smiled brightly at Jeremiah, who returned the smile. She had wavy brown hair and deep chocolatey brown eyes that shone like amber in the yellow lights from the food carts. She was pretty, but there was something more behind those eyes and Jeremiah couldn't work out what it was. He would have to investigate later on. 

"Dearest!" called out a voice from behind Jeremiah, and he looked up to see the tall figure of his mother walking unsteadily towards them. One of the clowns was beside her, without the makeup but in costume. 

"Great," muttered Jerome under his breath.

"Hey mom," said Jeremiah quietly, and Lila Valeska looked down at her sons. She gave a tipsy smile in Clarissa's direction and said "How's the training going, Clarissa?" 

"Good, Miss Valeska."

Lila laughed and leant into the arm of the clown who gave a twisted smile. Jerome stood his ground and looked into the clown's face with hostility. Lila ruffled Jeremiah's hair slightly.

"Dearests, I'll be busy tonight. Feel free to stay up."

She laughed drunkenly and Clarissa cringed. Jeremiah moved to stand closer to her. Without another word, Lila left, and Jeremiah heard her mutter "Little brats."

He looked over at Clarissa, who was holding tightly to Jerome's arm. It wouldn't be long before they had to explain how much of a horrible person their mother really was.