Secrets of our Present and Past

Bruce was due to be at Jeremiah's lab that evening, and Clarissa woke up later than she had wanted to, after a fitful sleep. There were shadows under eyes, and she was still quite tired when she woke up and got dressed. Rolling out of bed, Clarissa noticed that the window was open, which it hadn't been last night. A bolt of fear shot through her heart, and she rolled over to find the tape player where it had been under her mattress. It wasn't there, and Clarissa remembered she'd taken out and frantically searched around for it. She swore quietly under her breath and muttered ''Selina.''

She should've shown Bruce last night. Clarissa got dressed in an anxious flurry, and slipped out the door. Neither Bruce or Selina were anywhere to be seen, and Clarissa wondered in Selina would keep the tape player in her room. Unsure, she ran out to the bus stop and caught the bus that would take her nearest to Jeremiah's. It was still a twenty minute walk, but it was better than an hour and a half. A few women on the bus watched her curiously, and Clarissa pulled her hair over her face to shield herself. Getting off the bus she walked quickly, glancing around her to make sure no-one was following her. She was lucky, and slipped into the driveway of Jeremiah's house without any hassle. The door was unlocked for her, and Clarissa wasn't surprised when she found Jeremiah waiting for her. The generator sat in the middle of the room still, and Clarissa noticed her clipboard laying on the table beside him.

''Sorry I'm late, Jeremiah.''

''It's ok. I actually wanted to talk to you, anyway.''

Clarissa felt nervous, and wondered what he wanted to say.

''Ok...?'' she said quietly, and Jeremiah smiled.

''You noticed the box yesterday, and I thought I should tell you the truth about it. I think you know what it is, anyway.''

''Me?''

Jeremiah took a deep breath.

''I don't know what my brother told you about his plans. But, the box was from him, and it sprayed me with his insanity gas.''

Clarissa stared at him. He looked normal, and at first she was confused.

''I thought-''

''He told you about his plans?''

''Not in detail.''

He believed her. It was clear on his face, and Clarissa felt her heart rate become normal for the first time that morning.

''Did it work?'' 

''I'm not sure. I don't think so, but there was a physical alteration.''

Carefully, Jeremiah wiped a spot on his cheek, revealing stark white skin below. Clarissa new it would happen, she'd seen it when she and Jerome had tested the gas from Scarecrow. Jeremiah took out a tube of foundation and held it out to Clarissa. 

''Oh...ok.''

She took the tube, and stepped closer to him, slowly covered the spot on his cheek, blending it in until it looked normal. The heat from his body was a little uncomfortable and yet so familiar. She shuddered, and backed away. 

''Thank you.''

''Jeremiah.''

''Yes?''

It was only fair.

''Jerome left me a message. To carry on his plans. And I think, the insanity gas was his plan.''

Jeremiah nodded in agreement. 

''So do I. But we can't let Bruce know.''

''Why?''

Jeremiah sighed, and cleaned his glasses as he spoke, his voice even.