Chapter 7

I feel the dull ache in my chest every time I breath. I try to open my eyes but cant. I hear Andy and Simon talking quietly next to me.
After a few minutes I can finally open my eyes. I try to talk but my throat is too dry and I end up coughing. Andy looks over at me confused.
"Hope?" He asks. I nod, immediately regretting it because of the pain that shoots through my neck. 
Simon hands me a cup of water and I graciously take it. I gulp down the water, being careful not to mess with any IV lines.
"Thank you," I croak. They nod. Andy sits down on the bed beside me and Simon goes to get a doctor. I go to reach for my notebook but it's too far away.
Andy grabs it for me and puts it in my lap.
'What day is it? '  I write. Andy looks over my shoulder.
"It's Wednesday," he replies. My eyes widen. I was out for five days! I grab my phone and check my messages.
The friend group
Me: Hope is going into surgery. The room number is 54.
Sent: 5:08 p.m. Friday
Kai: Is she okay?
Meadow: We'll come visit!
Valley: Who put her in the hospital? I need to go beat some people.
Rain: Will she be okay?
Chip: Oh...
I frown at Chip's reply. I go to his contact and click the messages.
Me: Are you okay?
Chip: Yeah I'm fine. Are you okay?
Me: Yup. Stuff aches but its fine.
Chip: I was really worried.
Me: Sorry...
Chip: Nah. It's fine. I gtg. Ttyl
Me: ttyl
I get off of my phone after texting the others that I'm awake and alive. Simon walks back into the room with the doctor.
The doctor walks up to my bed and I sit up. He checks my vitals and breathing.
"She should be fine to go home now. Just keep her on the medicine," he says. Andy and Simon nod. The doctor walks out of the room.
Simon hugs me softly. Andy signs the release papers and puts them on the counter. I grab some clothes put of my bag and walk to the bathroom.
I change into the warm clothes and smile. I walk out of the bathroom and grab my stuff. We walk down to the front lobby, handing the papers to the lady at the front desk.
We walk outside into the cold weather. The sun shines down but gives no heat. I get to the car first and Simon unlocks it.  I get in the car and put my stuff down.
Simon and Andy get it and start the heater. As Simon drives off I look back at the hospital. The hospital fades out of view as Simon drives back home.
We pass a few parks and stores. Simon parks in front of the house and we all get out. I walk to the front door and wait for Andy and Simon to get there.
Andy opens the door and I walk into my room setting my stuff on my bed. I flop onto my bed carefully.
Andy walks in and sits down beside me. He rubs my back as I look out the window.
"Simon is suing the guy who beat you up," he says finally breaking the silence. I look up at him.
" you also have to go to school tomorrow. Apparently missing "three days" is too long! " he sighs exasperated. I giggle. He looks over at me smiling.
He gets up off the bed and walks to the door.
"Dinner will be done in a half-hour," he says. I nod as he walks out the door, closing it behind him. I plug my almost dead phone into the charger and grab my kindle.
I start reading a horror story that I left off on.
'Pan walks up to the locked door. She grabs the handle and slowly pulls it open. The door creaks and the hinges squeal. She walks in the room to find a single doll sitting on a rocking chair.
She walks up to the chair not noticing the door shutting. As she stands in front of the chair, the door slams shut and locks. She runs over to it and pulls at it.
It doesn't give. She walks back over to the doll.
"Well hello there little doll, " she says. The doll looks up at her. She jumps back and watches as the doll stands up from the chair.
"Well lets have a look at the menagerie," she says. Three other dolls walk up behind Pan. They grab her legs and pull her into a dark closet.
Her screams echo throughout the old house. The other orphans run up the stairs to the room. They open the door and see nothing.
They leave the house and report it to the police. The police come by and search the room. They look in the closet to see Pan's dismembered body parts on the shelves. 
The others are told to leave the house and never come back. They pack their stuff and leave but unknown to the others, someone had caught a ride in their suitcase.'
I close the book and walk down to the dining room. Andy is cooking something and Simon sits on the counter watching. I sit down at the table quietly.
Andy dishes up the food and brings it to the table. Simon sits down on my right and Andy stands in front of us.
"Today I have made you gourmet chicken with teriyaki sauce and a side of buttery mashed potatoes," Andy says.
" Thank you Chef, " me and Simon reply digging in to the food. Andy sits on my other side and starts eating.
It's really good. We finish eating and I put our plates in the dishwasher.
"Thanks Andy," I say. He nods and smiles. We walk out to the back patio and I go into the grass.
Andy and Simon sit on lounge chairs talking about some show. I walk over to a big birch tree. I climb halfway up it and sit down on a bigger branch.
"Where'd you go?" Andy asks concerned. I see him walking over to where I am. I wait quietly as he gets closer. Once he gets to the tree I hang down by my legs and surprise him.
"Hi!" I yell. Andy jumps back. He doesn't say anything for a while. I get off the tree and sink back.
"Sorry. That was mean. I didn't mean to make you mad," I ramble on. Andy snaps out of his daze and walks over. He wraps his arms around me and rests hi head on my shoulder.
Simon walks over and joins the group hug. The sun starts going down and I check my watch. 8:54. I pull away from the hug.
"I'm going to go to bed. It's getting late," I say. Andy nods. I give them each a quick hug and walk back inside.
I go up the stairs to my room. I change into my night clothes and brush my teeth. I fall asleep excited to see my friends tomorrow.