Set Him Free?

I held the key in my hand. This wasn't any key, it was the key. The skeleton key. It could open any door, any type of lock.

I looked back up at the gate, looming over me. Yancy was gone. His figure no longer within my range of sight. Should I set him free?

I remembered what he had said to me. "Maybe next time parole comes up I'll give it a shot." Those words rang in my mind like Big Ben on New years. My heart was a flutter every time I recalled the sentence.

The way he had said those words to me. It was like he was willing to wait to be free. He wanted to be in prison, he wanted to do his time, to repay for his crime. It was the most honourable thing, something I never expected to hear from a prisoner. Only from those who knew what they had done and truly wanted to be free.

Despite the song and dance, he had given us all. I knew deep in my heart, he does want to be free. But only when the world deems him ready to be free.

I tucked the key into my pocket and ran for my life. I could hear the faint sound of someone's footsteps that were not my own. I turned around to look at the gates once more, there was nothing, no-one. I kept on running, away from the prison. Away from Yancy. Away from my past life, into my new one.

*Yancy POV*
Now youse may have thought that I ran back inside. Well youses wrong, I stayed, I was just hidden is all.

I watched youse run away, I watched as your body bolted for the city, towards the life you lived before. I wanted to call out to youse, but I couldn't. I wanted youse to be free, to be rid of this place. I want to know, that youses safe out there.

I just hope yous'll visit me.

Because no-one visits me anymore...

*Back to you*

The next morning I found myself nearing the city. On my way I passed so many shops and houses, I tried to remember my way home. But it had been so long since I had last been there, that it was almost impossible to get back. I ran and ran and ran, until finally, there it was. My old home...

But someone else was living there.

I didn't recognize them, but there they were, living in my house. My stuff was nowhere to be seen, surely they can't have thrown it all.

I walked up to the door and knocked. A young woman opened the door, she was clutching a small child in her arms, no older than 3. She had blond hair and a dismissive look on her face.

"Hello? Can I help you?"

"Yes actually. I used to live here about 2 years ago. I've been... Out of town for a while and as far as I was concerned I'm still living here?"

"Sorry Hun, we moved in about a year ago, I'm guessing that was your stuff that was still here. Don't worry, someone who said they knew you came to pick it all up."

"Sorry? Did someone come to collect my stuff? Who were they? What did they look like?"

"A young man, quite handsome. He kept winking at me for some reason. Listen lady I don't know who you are or your relationship with that man, but seriously, you got some weird friends."

"Okay, thank you. Sorry to bother you." She closed the door in my face. As soon as she mentioned someone constantly winking, I knew exactly who she was talking about.

Illinois...

So I'll admit I had gone on a date with him a while back, but we never made it official or anything. He was never home because of his work, so we never made it past the friend zone. It was a weird relationship, but of course, he came to collect my stuff.

I had something he owned, a statue of sorts. I'd stolen it a while back and knew he'd come back for it one day. I just wish he'd waited or visited me to tell me he's taken all my stuff. I have to find him, now!

I still don't know how I should approach him. Should I yell at him? Or try to trick him into giving me my stuff?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Authors Note

Hello readers,

Decision time, do we confronted Illinois, or do we deceive him? The choice is yours?

Update will be on Sunday, depending on your decisions!

Thanks friends,
Iamtrash16
Xxxxxxxxxx