Chapter 23

It's New Year's Eve and everyone is running around trying to get all the last minute details done for the party tonight. The girls are once again in my room to get ready. We've been in here since 4PM, and the party starts at 7. Since it's not as formal an event as the coronation, we don't have to have the stylists come do our hair and makeup, which means it doesn't take us as long to get ready. I curl my hair into loose waves while Cami and Amália both straighten their hair. Once we have our hair and makeup done we get into our dresses.

My dress is a black, off the shoulder dress with intricate bead work on the top and sleeves. Amália's is a pale blue illusion neck line, with cutouts in the sides, and beading through the top. Cami's dress is an emerald green strapless dress that brings out the color of her eyes. There is some beadwork on the top of her dress, and a slit up the skirt. 

"Wow, Cami," Amália says once Cami has her dress on. "That dress looks amazing on you! The color really brings out the green in your eyes." Lia turns to me and whispers in my ear, "Remi won't be able to keep his eyes off her tonight." I have to stifle my giggle. Not only does Cami look hot in her dress, but green is Remi's favorite color. And yes, I've noticed how my brother has been looking at my friend since we arrived in Eplea, and especially after they shared that dance at the coronation ball. I glance up at the clock and notice that it is five after 7. I guess I'm still always going to be late to these things.

"Alright! we should head down. The party's already started and we are late," I say as I open the door to usher them out into the hall.

"When are you never late, Nia?" Lia says with a laugh as we head downstairs.

Once we get to the ball room, the guards open the doors for the three of us. The party is in full swing. It doesn't take long for us to find Alex and Xavier, wearing the same tuxes they wore to the coronation. 

"Hey guys!" I say as we get over to where they are standing. Alex smiles and wraps his arms around me in a hug before pulling back, but keeping one arm around my waist. Xavier wraps an arm around Lia's waist and pulls her to his side as well. 

"You girls look beautiful," Alex says with a wide smile.

"Why thank you, meu amor," I say as I place a light kiss on his cheek. Out of the corner of my eye I see Remigio and Dário heading our way. "Hey Remi!" I call out to my brother when he gets close enough. I see Cami freeze for a moment at the mention of his name.

"Hey Nia, hey guys" Remi says with a smirk, but when he gets to our group and his eyes fall on Cami, that smirk falls. Cami's cheeks turn a light shade of pink when she sees Remi looking at her.

"H-hey Remi," she stutters her greeting after everyone else says hi. 

"Well, I need a drink. Come with me meu amor?" I ask, turning to look at Alex, who nods. I lead him away from the group just as I hear Lia say she needs a drink too. I look over my shoulder to see her pulling Xavier by the hand behind us. Lia and I share a smirk as we get to the bar area. We order four sparkling ciders and once we have our drinks, we move away from the bar.

I look back to where we left Cami with Remi and Rio. Rio isn't there anymore, and Remi and Cami are talking. They look like they are having a good time together so I turn back to the group.

"So do you two want to tell us what that was all about?" Alex asks, looking between Lia and me. Lia and I share a smirk before I turn to Alex to answer him. 

"You can't tell me you haven't noticed the way your sister acts around my brother," I raise my eyebrow as he looks back to where Cami and Remi are talking. "Or the way that my brother looks at your sister, especially when he thinks no one is watching." 

"We're just trying to help them move things along by making them spend time together," Lia adds as Alex turns back to us. 

A few hours into the party, we've split our small group up. Alex and I headed to the dance floor for a few songs and by the time we were ready to take a break, Xavier and Lia had disappeared somewhere.  I lead Alex out to the balcony off the ball room, and we stand out in the night air for awhile, just looking up at the stars. I haven't told Alex that I won't be returning with them when they fly back home in a few days. Just as I'm about to bring it up, I hear the countdown starting back inside the ballroom.

10...9...8...

Alex takes my hand in his and he turns me so that I am facing him.

6...5...4...

He moves one hand up to cup my face as he leans down.

3...2...1...

"Happy New Year, Nia," Alex says before pressing his lips to mine in a burning kiss as the bell rings out.

"Happy New Year, Alex," I say breathlessly as we pull away from each other. 

After the clock strikes midnight, the party starts to thin out. When 12:30 comes around, Alex and I decide to head out. Alex goes into his room to change out of his tux, saying that he'll be up in a few minutes as I continue up to my room.

When I get inside my room, I head straight to the closet and I take my dress off. I pull on my light blue boy shorts and my black camisole before grabbing my robe off its hook and pulling it on as I exit my closet. I wash my makeup off in the bathroom, and as I'm leaving the bathroom afterwards, Alex walks into my room.

"Hey," I give him a small smile as I meet him halfway across the room.

"Hi," he smiles back. He leans down and gives me a light kiss on the lips.

"I need to tell you something," I say, biting my bottom lip, as I lead him over to the couch and we sit down.

"What's up, babe?" He gives me a concerned look as he pushes a strand of my hair back behind my ear. 

"Um, when you leave in a couple of days to go back home, I'm not coming with you," I say, looking up into those green eyes of his. "I'm staying here in Eplea." A few moments of silence pass between us before I speak again. "Please don't be mad at me for not telling you, I just found out a couple of days ago, and I didn't know how to bring it up."

"I'm not mad, Nia," Alex says, as he wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me into his side.

"You're not?" I ask, looking at him bewildered.

"I'm not," He confirms. "I figured you'd be staying here, but it doesn't change anything. We can text and FaceTime as often as we can. I love you, Nia, and a little bit of distance isn't going to change that."

"I love you so much Alex," I say as I curl into his side, laying my head on his shoulder.