Epilogue

New Year's Eve, 2021

Alex is in Eplea for New Year's Eve this year. Last year, I spent New Year's in the states with him, so this year he is with me. As I'm getting ready, my mother texts me, telling me to make sure I wear my tiara tonight. I roll my eyes but I take my tiara out of the glass case it is sitting in and I stand in front of my vanity to place it on my head. I'm not sure why she's making me wear it this year, but there's no arguing when it comes to my mother.

As I walk down the stairs from my room, I see Alex waiting for me in his custom tailored tux. I smile as he turns around to face me.

"Wow," he says, in Portuguese, as he takes in my appearance. "You look...absolutely stunning." 

"Why thank you," I say as I place my hand through his arm. "Your Portuguese seems to be getting better." I smile as he chuckles.

"I've been practicing," he says as he looks at me with a smile. Alex has been working on learning Portuguese for the last couple of years, with the help of Xavier. He's not to the point where he is fluent yet, but he is close. 

"Well, keep practicing and I think you'll be fluent in a few more months." We continue with our conversation as we make our way to the ball room. I can't help but notice that Alex is acting a little strange. Almost like he's nervous, but I brush it off as we enter the ball room.

We dance and mingle with other guests all night long. Xavier is here with Amália, and we spend some time talking with them. As the night goes on, I notice Alex seems to get more and more nervous. While I'm busy talking with Remi, mostly about some things that need to get done within the next month, I notice that Alex has disappeared. I look around the ball room until I spot him on the opposite side of the ball room, with my mother. They are talking and I watch as my mother pulls him into a hug before she gets pulled away by someone else. He catches me looking and he flashes me that smile that has always made my heart flutter. I wave to him as I feel the blush spread across my cheeks. It's been two years and he still makes me blush like that.

When we meet up with each other again, we spend the rest of the time on the dance floor, until the countdown is about to start. We stand in the middle of the floor, Alex behind me with his arms wrapped around me as we face the bell that Remi will ring right at midnight.

10...9...8...

When the countdown starts, I feel Alex remove his arms from around me

7...6...5...

I turn around to face Alex, to find him down on one knee, holding a black velvet box with the most beautiful diamond ring inside. My hand covers my mouth in shock as I stare down at him.

4...3...

"Princess Apolônia Vasconcelos, will you marry me?" Alex asks as he holds the ring out to me.

2...1...

"Yes!" I gasp out. Alex stands up and pulls me into a burning passionate kiss just as the bell rings out through the ball room.

Cheers from everyone around us ring out as we break away from each other. Alex takes the ring out of the box and places it on my finger. 

"I love you so much, Nia," he says, placing a kiss on my hand. "And I will love you until my dying breath."

"I love you too, Alex. Forever and Always."

Nia's Engagement Ring