Chapter 19 (final)

- A few weeks later -

It was an exceptional day. To begin with, it was a Saturday. It was December, yet the sun was out, and the temperature was 21°C. Dan awoke to the sound of footsteps by his bed. He opened his eyes just as Phil pushed him to the side, and got into bed with him. He turned over to face Phil, and laced his arm around the boy’s waist.

Phil leant in and gave him a peck on the lips, “morning, you.”

Dan chuckled, “good morning.” He snuggled closer to Phil, and both boys closed their eyes. They held this position for what seemed like forever.

Eventually, Dan’s mother knocked on the door, her voice breaking the silence with, “Get up, you two. Carpe diem! Seize the day!” Dan groaned. She paused, pushed the door open, and poked her head around. “Awwhh. You two look so cute… But get up, it’s midday.” She left the room, closing the door behind her.

Dan opened his eyes and lifted his head to look at Phil, who returned the gaze. He closed the distance and kissed Phil, softly, gently…

They continued to kiss until Dan’s mum knocked on the door once more saying, “I meant it, you two! It’s a beautiful day, go out and do something,” when she heard no reply, she added, “or else I’ll turn off the Wi-Fi!”

Dan broke away from Phil and gasped, “what are we going to do?!”

Phil grinned, “Let’s go somewhere.”

Dan glared, “where?”

Phil bit his lip and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, they sparkled, even in the poorly lit room, “I have an idea. But it’s a surprise.”

“What is it?”

Phil winked and tapped his own nose with his finger, Dan growled in response.

“Go and have a shower; I’ll pack your things.”

Dan begrudgingly obliged and left the room.

He returned to his room to find Phil doing up the laces on his shoes. On the bed rested two packed rucksacks.

Phil looked up, “Dan, put your shoes on! We’re gonna be late! Also, I couldn’t find your student rail card, you need it so go get it, please.”

So they would be taking a train? Dan looked over at the clock, it was 1pm. The sun set in four hours. Where could they possibly be going?

Brighton. That’s where. Dan stood, looking up at the huge sign above him.

London Kings Cross -> Brighton: 1:45

Phil jogged over to him, holding two tickets. “Surprise,” he whispered into Dan’s ear, slipping a ticket into his hand.

They hurried through the ticket barriers and bagged themselves a table on the train. The train left the minute they sat down.

“We’re going to the beach!” Phil announced, beaming.

Dan grinned, “Thanks, Phil.”

“We can go out, get some food… I’ve packed speakers; we can listen to some music… sit on the beach and watch the sun set… It’ll be great, I promise.”

Dan’s grin broadened, “I’m so excited now,” he pouted, “the train journey is so long! An hour!”

Phil stood up, moved around to Dan’s side of the table, and put his arm around him. Dan buried his face into his neck.

Before too long, they had arrived.

The sky really was beautiful. The sun just about to set, it diverged from its usual grey-blue tone, and vibrant pinks, oranges, and yellows shone through. Dan lay, with his head rested on Phil’s stomach, and observed. Music danced through the speakers, quietly as there were other people nearby. Dan raised his cigarette to his lips, and inhaled. Phil’s hand, which rested on his chest, began to draw circles and patterns. Dan was content. He was happy.

“It’s gorgeous,” he remarked. He felt Phil’s other hand begin to play with his hair.

“Yeah. It really is…”

They continued to watch the sun go down. Dan’s phone switched to a new song, ‘Bound 2’ by Kanye West.

“Oh God.” Phil murmured.

Dan turned over and looked up at him. “What?”

“Please tell me you own this song ironically?” Phil pleaded.

Dan giggled, “Well…”

Phil mock-vomited, “Kanye West?! Really, Dan?”

“Hey! You like Buffy the Vampire Slayer!”

Phil scoffed, “Because it’s amazing!” He grinned, “Just when I thought you were perfect,” he winked.

Dan mock-slapped his arm, but smiled back. “Perfect?”

“Well…” Phil teased, sticking out his tongue. “But I’m sure we’ll be able to advance past this barrier in our relationship.”

Dan crawled upwards until his face was above Phil’s. Then, he leant in, and kissed him. The kiss was short, but sweet. When they broke apart, they gazed into each other’s eyes.

Phil’s lip trembled, from the cold?

Dan gave him another peck on the lips.

Phil smiled, and whispered, “I love you.”

Dan smiled back, “I love you too.”

(AN: That’s the end ;-; it was a bit short and sweet but I like it and it made me happy so yep. I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it! Quick question: do you guys want an epilogue kinda thing? It would literally be a list of what happened to each character (dan, phil, zoe etc) after the end of the fic. Please let me know! This was my first proper chaptered fic, and I cant wait to write more very soon! )