Chapter 16

(another strong homophobic slur warning this is becomming a common thing oh dear)

Monday afternoon. Nothing eventful had happened that day; except for Zoe glaring at Dan for the entirety of lunch. He and Phil acted the way they normally did, hanging out with PJ and Chris, and going to smoke behind the bike shed during their free period.

Now, Dan sat in his room, at his desk, doing his maths homework. He chewed on the end of his pencil as he stared at the complex algebraic formula in front of him. As he puzzled over it, Phil walked into the room, over to Dan, and wrapped his arms around his neck. He nuzzled into Dan’s shoulder, throwing Dan’s concentration off course. He smiled to himself and turned to look up, into Phil’s eyes.

“I’ve just got one more question, okay?” he gave Phil a soft peck on the lips.

Phil pouted, “Why do you care so much about that stuff?” He moaned.

“I want to pass maths at least,” Phil retreated his arms, leaving Dan’s neck feeling lonely and cold.

“Suit yourself. I’m going upstairs to take a shower.” He left the room.

Dan began to get back into the mathematical rhythm. The answer came to him almost immediately. How had he not realised?! It was so simple! He wrote down the final answer and sat back in his chair. Just then, the door burst open. Phil ran in. Dan smiled and turned, but was met with terror.

“I don’t know how, I- I just- He’s here-Dan he’s-” Phil spluttered.

Dan understood immediately, “oh shit!” he stood up and walked past Phil, down the stairs, and to the front door.

He opened it. On the doorstep stood Phil’s dad, poised to knock. He looked angry. Angrier than he had yesterday.

“What the fuck have you done with my son?!” he bellowed.

Pangs of fear ached at the pit of Dan’s stomach, but he suppressed it, “He’s staying with me.” He said, trying to sound confident.

“No he fucking well isn’t!”

“Yes he fucking well is,” Dan said, firmly, but quietly.

Phil’s dad tried to push past him, but Dan resisted, “If you enter my house, I will call the police.”

“I have more of a right to call the police, you’ve kidnapped my son!”

“If you do that, I will tell them what you’ve been doing to him. I swear to God, if you don’t leave this house right now…” he trailed off. Any threat he made would be empty. Phil’s father was huge; he could never win in a fight against someone of that size and strength.

“What will you do? The police won’t believe you.”

“I’ve taken a photo of the bruises which you’ve inflicted on him. They WILL believe me.”

“You fucking-” He raised his fist, ready to strike.

A voice from behind Dan interrupted, “Don’t touch him.” It was Phil

His dad looked up, surprised.

“I don’t want to speak to you again. I’ve contacted mum, she’s gonna let me live with her. In the meanwhile, I’m going to live here. With my boyfriend,” he put extra emphasis on that last word, which made Dan’s insides go warm. “I will come and get my stuff this weekend. Make sure you aren’t at home, otherwise I will call the police.”

His father’s mouth gaped open, speechless.

“Now please. Get out.”

His dad seemed to regain the ability to speak, or rather, shout, “HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT YOU FUCKING FAGGOT?! GET OVER HERE THIS MINUTE AND COME THE FUCK HOME.”

Phil’s bottom lip trembled for a split second, before he bit down on it. “No.”

“What the hell is wrong with you?! I’m your father.” he was quieter now, but still angry.

“You lost the right to call yourself that when you started to hit me for loving who I wanted to love. You made me hate myself, and I would blame myself for what you did. You were the one person who I trusted, and you have broken that trust… Maybe someday, I could forgive you. But right now, I want you out of this house, and out of my life.”

His dad stood there, dumbstruck. Then, slowly, he turned and left.

Dan closed the door behind him. Then he turned, and rushed over to Phil, who was slumped over on the stairs, crying. He took Phil into his arms, and tried to soothe him. Phil looked up, into his eyes, and Dan placed his hands on his cheeks, wiping away Phil’s tears with his thumbs.

“You were so brave, Phil. I know how scared you are of that guy, but you faced him, and won!”

Phil’s lower lip wobbled as he spoke, “But I didn’t win, Dan. I’ve lost my father.”

“But you’ll be able to stay with your mum soon.”

“She hasn’t replied to my email! I was lying, Dan! I have nowhere to go,” his voice cracked, and he began to sob. This was the most upset Dan had ever seen him, and it made his throat choke up a tiny bit.   

“You can stay with me as long as you want, okay?”

Phil sniffed, “Okay,” he nuzzled into Dan’s chest, “Thank you, Dan.”

“Anything for you,” Dan continued to hold him tightly…

(AN: like the new url? I love it, I really didn’t like alixsfanfiction. Im sorry for the 2 week gap, Ive started AS which is like a British equivalent or SATS (?) or something so yeah, lots of work and procrastination, im sorry <3 hope you like this part, quite dramatic but oh well. And the bit with “what the hell is wrong with you” etc was a sly reference to breaking bad in case you were wondering)