Chapter 17

— 2 weeks later —

“Howell?”

Dan was roused from his day-dreaming, and looked up. Mr Andrews stared back at him.

“Yes?”

“Please pay attention. Can you answer the question? What does X equal?”

Dan looked down at his sheet, before looking up once more, saying, “X equals 45, Sir.” He looked back out through the window at the trees outside, expecting the lesson to go on as usual. When it didn’t, he turned back to the front.

Mr Andrews had a look of mock-horror on his face, “Are you ill?” Giggles erupted from certain members of the class.

“What?”

“You didn’t shout at me, you weren’t rude, you answered the question correctly… You even called me Sir,” he said, in disbelief.

Dan half-smiled, “I guess I just couldn’t be bothered today.”

Mr Andrews smiled, “keep it up!” Then he continued on with the lesson.

He had a point, though. Why was Dan even in the lesson? It was a Tuesday; usually he would be bunking off with Phil. Phil. That was what was on his mind, day and night. That was why Dan no longer spoke back to the teachers. All of his energy was spent on thinking about Phil.

Phil fucking Lester…

The bell for break rang and Dan made his way to the bike shed, making sure nobody followed him. Sure enough, when he rounded the corner, he saw Phil, in his usual spot on the wall. Phil smiled up at him, but instead of waiting for Dan to sit down next to him, he stood up, flicking the end of his cigarette away. He strode towards Dan and grabbed hold of his jacket. He then spun him, and pushed him against the bike shed. Before Dan could process what was happening, Phil’s lips were against his own. Everything else dropped away and it was just him and Phil. He smiled into the kiss, lacing his arms around Phil’s waist.

After a few minutes, Phil pulled away and placed his forehead against Dan’s, eyes closed.

Dan chuckled, “What was that about?”

Phil didn’t open his eyes, “I don’t know,” he murmured, “I just needed it.”

Dan leant back in to kiss Phil once more, it was shorter this time. When they broke apart again, Phil stepped back, allowing Dan to move away from the shed. As he patted his pockets, looking for his packet of cigarettes, he began to become more aware of his surroundings. He realised that he and Phil were not alone. He looked up, and over to the path, where Zoe stood, eyes and mouth wide open.

“Zoe?! I-”

She interrupted him, “So it’s really over then?” Dan nodded, after a small internal debate, she continued, “I’m going to tell everyone. Your reputation as ‘Dan the badass’? It’s over.” With that, she turned on her heel, and ran round the corner, towards school.

(AN: dun dun duunn! Aha sorry for the late post, my reason this time is that it was my birthday last weekend, so, sorry about that. This is short bc its kind of an inbetweeny kinda thing, I hope you guys enjoyed it!!)