My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 40

Start from the beginning

"Are we going out of the state?" I asked out of pure curiosity.

"No, we're going to you grandparents' house," Mom replied, turning around in her seat with a bright smile.

"And how far away is that?" Penny said, glancing up with a scowl.

"You don't remember?" Mom uttered, the surprise in her voice evident.

"Three hours," Dad answered. You could hear the smile in his voice. "Each way," he then added sneakily.

He loved annoying Penny, much like myself. Of course, twinny groaned in frustration and sank in her seat. I mentally high fived our father.

"Come on, Penelope, it's not that bad. And we'll have stops on the way!" Mom chirped and I merely laughed.

"It's gonna be good," I told her with a toothy grin. "Think of it like a little break; no school, no boys, no stress."

"For you, Elouise. I don't mind school, you know? And boys! Ryan Keith is a god!" Penelope scoffed. "I bet you're just happy you don't have to deal with both Charlie and Drew."

"Hey!" I snapped, chancing a look at our parents.

Dad was minding his own business, as usual. He didn't like getting caught up in my twin and I's teen drama. However, Mom was the total opposite. She lived for it. She loved gossip and drama in any way, shape, or form. She always said that it made her feel like she was in one of her favorite TV series. My guess was Pretty Little Liars. So, she just sat there in the front seat, body twisted in a weird angle, seatbelt a little more than slightly strained. Her blue eyes were wide and she wore a shit-eating grin. If I knew anything at, it was the fact that my mother was definitely lapping up all of this new information faster than the WiFi connection at home.

"What's this Charlie and Drew issue?" she inquired, mostly to Penny than me. She knew me enough to know I wouldn't answer that.

Penny, don't say anything.

"It's, uh," she began, raising a perfectly sculpted brow at me.

Please!

"She's caught up between those two. Sort of like an unexpected love triangle."

Should not have shown too much eagerness.

"Really now?" Mom said, smiling mischievously. "Like season one Blair, Chuck, and Nate?"

"No!" I grumbled, trying to kill the beginnings of a bad conversation.

Penny scoffed. "More like season three Elena, Damon, and Stefan."

"Could you please stop? I don't--"

"Who's which?" Mom questioned and my face seared with heat.

"Okay, let me rephrase that. The three of them are nothing like that."

"Wait," Mom paused, "I thought Charlie was just a friend?"

"He is!" I yelled at the same time Penny replied, "Of couse not."

Mom was confused, and she cocked her head to the side. She turned a little more in her seat. No doubt, getting ready for a long conversation regarding my nonexistant love triangle.

"I understand Andrew," she remarked with a cheeky smile. "He's smitten with you, and I've only seen him once."

I blushed.

"That he is," Penny stated.

I kept my face expressionless. "But what about Anna? Anna Stanton?" I said, my insecurity kicking the gears in my head.