My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 23

Chapter 23

"You are mine this afternoon and no one is allowed to steal you away from me!" my best friend stated, going a little bit over the top. Her words reminded me of a possessive Alpha. I found it quite amusing, to be honest. We were walking side-by-side with one arm snaked around the other's. Cindy said we haven't been spending much time together and I totally agree, thus her inner werewolf talk. With all this pageant stuff and preparation for Charlie's ultimate date with Penelope, my life hasn't been as easy as I'd want it to be. My schedule was an even tighter squeeze because of my after-school tutoring sessions. On top of all of that, I had to win over Drew using my semi-under-developed "interaction with guys" skills. Obviously, I wasn't making any progress in that department. But thank goodness - and Charlie - my marks in Chemistry were taking a dramatic turn towards the passing half of the grading spectrum. "Don't worry, I'm all yours," I replied with a quick wink in her direction. Cindy laughs and flips her pretty blonde hair over her shoulder. And then, we make our way inside the amply crowded mall.

I suppose being busy had another price to pay: not knowing when sales are on. I had no idea whatsoever that today was a big sale day. I didn't know we were going to get squished by people today. I mean, who makes Tuesday a sale day? Wouldn't it be better if it was on a weekend or something? Well, apparently not.

I was walking with my purse clutched tight for safety precautions and Cindy was laughing at my paranoia. She knew my bike went missing on the last day of summer. Heck, she saw my reaction when I realised that it did disappear. She can't possibly blame me for being even a little bit scared. There were giant signs everywhere, from "twenty percent off" banners to "great buys" posters. I always found it stupid that people ignored everything in a store, until they mark it with the magic four-letter word. Whenever I went shopping during a sale, I could never help but feel as if I was being cheated.

Cindy wasted no time in leading us to the food floor. She said she wanted to eat some pizza first. I didn't mind, so I suggested going to Pizza Palace. It was one of my go-to pizza restaurants and Cindy didn't complain. There weren't a lot people, mainly because it was only a little after four o'clock. The young waitress gave us a small smile before we followed her to a table. The delectable smell of pizza was infiltrating my nostrils and I couldn't wait to take my first bite.

"What are you getting?" I asked her, trying to choose between Spicy Pepperoni, and Supreme. I'll probably end up ordering a slice of each.

Cindy pursed her lips and looked at me. "One Hawaiian and one Meatlovers, of course."

The waitress takes our orders and we each tell her our choice, adding a glass of Sprite and Coke. After a few minutes, we received our food and started devouring it. We talked about random things and caught up with each others' mishaps. I had plenty to tell and so did she. When we were strolling in and out of shops, we were on the subject of her relationship.

"How's Ethan? Has he been behaving like your book boyfriends?" I teased, laughing at her. Cindy liked to read teen fiction novels and called it upon herself to mentally date the characters she deemed hot and most definitely worthy.

She slapped my arm, grinning at me. "Not exactly, but he's alright," she said, studying a pair of studded shorts and putting them back.

"I never really see you with him at school. What gives?"

"He's usually with his friends, but it's fine. I like that we're not too all over each other."

"Past the honeymoon phase?" She nodded. "That's good, I'm really happy for you." I smiled at her and she hugged me.

"What about you? Are you dating anyone yet?" Cindy inquired, leaning closer to see me better. Well, more like to check my eyes if I was lying or not.