Beyond faith

[the Ascent, in-phase towards the Skyean Kingdom]

The desk in the Captain's quarters was buried with religious canon. Paper books mostly all written in ancient Latin which outlined the laws and beliefs of the Church. Sam was deep into a page from a great tome when the deck hatch slid open, and Honi tentatively stuck his head around the opened way, "Hey!"

Sam looked up and grinned back, he was charming and handsome and everything she needed right now. "I'm sorry."

Honi entered and sat in one of the guest chairs across from the newly appointed Bishop, "Sorry for what? You have so much on your plate right now. I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do? Anything you need?"

Sam studied his face and was surprised that he was genuine and not just looking for sex. Her first thought was, So who are you fucking now then? But, she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. "No, I'm fine." She scratched the sides for her head in mock-frustration, frizzing her always straight dark hair, "it's just all of this," she indicated over the mess of books. Eiko's library had been renowned as one of the best personal theological collections in the system containing a mix of contemporary publications and significant historical texts also.

"Have you found what you're looking for?"

"No, that's the problem. If we're going to travel around the Galaxy trying to argue our reformation, then I need to know how to present Eiko's ideas formally. But all of these words, in these books, seem so dry and lifeless. All of it."

"Perhaps Eiko based his sermon on something else besides the laws, besides history?" suggested Honi.

"Like what? Faith?"

Honi moved to the room's control panel and adjusted the lights down to an ambient level and walked around behind Sam and proceeded to massage her tense shoulders.

He was right. Eiko's believed in something more significant than the rules and customs all around them. For the first time in weeks, Sam relaxed and was able to think clearly, "Faith alone won't convince the Galaxy to abandon the Church as they know it. Remember, faith is their favourite weapon too, it always has been." Weapons, war it always came down to these things.

"I don't know, Sam, maybe it has to go beyond faith."

"Beyond faith?"

"Yeah, forget God for a minute--just basic love--love for each other."

Sam stood and hugged her man. "Perhaps, but I'm afraid there's nothing basic about love."

***

The next day, the first thing Sam did was put the books back on their shelves. Her discussion with Honi had affected her more than he would know. Their purpose was not about arguing for the amendment of rules and regulations, it was about a fresh canvas, upon which, they would paint their own picture of how life should be. She stood before the one-way transparent hatch that adjoined her briefing room. Inside she could she Honi, Lucas, Koopa and her first officer, Harris and medical officer Soul locked in heated discussion verging on an argument. Sam took a deep breath. This was a new day. She walked through the hatch.

It took a minute for her to work out the gist of the matter at hand, relating to what their next course of action should be. Sam had her own idea and was sure that no one was going to like it either. "Ok folks. Let's get started." The room settled down, "Harris, please report."

The auger sat straight in his seat, his green hair seemed to have a life of its own and he had to set a section in place before addressing the table, "All ship's systems are running at optimal efficiency with no operational matters to report beyond the satisfactory treatment of the septic recivitators as previously raised by members of the crew. Further, as per previous reports, our TTE for Skye Capital exit point is on target for 39-05 21:30, in nine days, three hours and twenty-six minutes."

"Thank you, Harris." Sam continued, "Now for the big question. What are we going to do when we get there? I know, while not formally at war with the Kingdom, nor are we going to be tolerated, both the Church and the Kingdom, once they know we're in town are going to do their best to eliminate us. This is why we must be quick.

"Thanks to Cardinal Beek, we have learned that the Terminus has returned from their extended mission to the Bracknells. Officially, Death Squad 8 now only consists of one crew, and they've been detained as heretics by the Church even though, they will have been completely unaware of our reformation. So, the question is: do we, given that Beek has also provided us with their location, attack the Church directly to rescue our friends? Or, do we pull back until we are certain of the cardinals intentions? Sure, he was the mentor and a supporter of Dean Eiko, but he is also a Cardinal in the hierarchy and has much to lose from our movement."

"You are right Sam," Father Koopa interjected, "besides, while we are all a tight team, besides Eiko, Joy is the most devout in our squad, especially since the Church has got to them first, I suspect the chances of us convincing them to join the cause are slim."

Koopa's fierce demeanour made it difficult to disagree with her, but this was Sam's show, "This is a valid point. But, I think we owe it to our teammates to give them the opportunity to follow our lead, after all, it is just as likely that they are being subjected to divine retribution as to being brainwashed against us."

"Or both." Koopa added grimly.

"We need to know where our Cardinal's real intentions lie." Said Lucas, sunbeamer and the youngest of their team, she was also the most forthright.

"Remember, he is no longer our Cardinal. But, you are correct, that would be the wisest move, but also foolhardy, as contact with him will put us in direct contact with the Star Templars and I'd bet my last pax that they have been commissioned with our termination. Their allegiance with their order and the Church, would outweigh any personal ties they have with their Cardinal." Sam referred the warrior class of priests that had been established to provide physical protection for the Church's hierarchy. "Given the way Eiko left us, for them, this will be personal.

"I fear our path at this time will not take us to rescue dear friends. And, I pray that Fathers Joy, Ce and Whiel will forgive us.

"Something has been bothering me since we were fooled into assassinating the Skyean Linx. Namely, who fooled us. Sure, we know that Pongo Pygmaeus was directly responsible. Still, we do not know who he was working for or the motivation behind the deception. I fear until we get to the bottom of this, we will be acting as mere puppets for a greater harm. We need the power that this information will provide."

"But you squashed Pongo, the secret died with him."

"No, we had all of the pax that he provided. Analysis has given us a name, Wu Zetian, she's a Druid."

"I know the name. Admitted Harris, but she's not a druid, at least, not any more. Many years ago, she gave up her robe to become an auger. And, may I add, her reputation precedes her."