Zoro the elder

[Qura Amara, the living platform]

The Elder Learned, Zoro stood inside the environment facing the armoured auger. Even though the meeting was virtual, taking place within their minds, as required by law, Zoro had to appear as a one hundred and sixty-year-old man. He had always resented the tradition that compelled communications to be accurate representations of participants; he saw it as a violation of his freedom, when it was possible, with the technology, to shed his age, sex or perhaps his body altogether and appear however he liked. A small consolation for him was that, here, he could stand without his walking stick.

They were together watching the classified, unedited version of the stream from the massacre at the New Freedom Opera House which had taken place two days before. As the stream concluded with the torpedo-like murder of the businessman and the Death Squad 8 ship jumping into space, the display switched to a three-sixty degree live view of the aftermath, including the ruins of the old platform. They stood for a moment, stunned by the sight they beheld.

The auger spoke first, her glowing blue teeth, augmentation modules, lit up her face as she spoke, "It's begun."

Zoro shook his head with worry, "Yes, but far too soon. We're nowhere close to ready; they've only just arrived."

"I know you're the Learned here, but may I remind you, the seed must germinate before its roots can penetrate the earth, let's see what these Churchman can do, it may be that when we need them, they'll have developed into a tree."

"You can take the cultist out of the forest, but never the forest out of the fucking cultist, right, May?" he asked sarcastically, "Consider this, what happens if war breaks out before we're ready? Who the fuck's going to save your tree when it starts to burn?"

The auger stepped forward, "You're placing too much importance on the shoulders of children, especially the girl."

It was Zoro's turn to step forward; he warned with a gnarled stick-like finger outstretched, "You have no idea what she can do."

"You're correct on that account, old man, why don't you tell me?"

"Ha! You'll find out. All in good time. You will find out."