Mawla Xe'ed

[a short time later on the Atripliceae Family Platform in atmospheric orbit over the planet Skye]  

The docking bay hatch of the Amaran transport irised open and Sen walked into a scene of such grand beauty that she had to blink or risk being overwhelmed by the complex pattern of colours. The high walls along the internal promenade were brightly decorated with mandelbrotian designs of blue, white, green, yellow and brown, and the deck too was polished gold that reflected the blue sky from the clear force-field ceiling above.

As soon as she emerged from the hatchway, she was welcomed by a small group of officials; a smart looking man in a white uniform moved forward,  "Welcome aboard the al Danni my young Senniella Atriplex. I am your humble Captain, Bashsha. Please consider myself and the crew at your service." The Ship's Captain bowed low. Bashshar was a tall, blonde and handsome man and his smile was instantly endearing. His uniform was a stiff white suit with lapels that supported an ornate black pattern that slithered like a snake up to decorative shoulder pieces that seemed to be fine twisted wires of pure gold.

The authority of the Captain's presence instantly dismissed any nerves that the young girl had about leaving the platform where she had lived all her life. Sen walked forward meeting his outstretched hand with a smile, "Pleased to meet you, Captain." She said meekly.

"Please, call me Bashshar, this will be your home for the next eight weeks, and I'm sure we will become good friends in that time."

"Eight weeks?" asked Sen, "I thought the journey from Skye to Qura Amara took only ten days?"

"That is true." said a striking ebony-skinned, red-haired woman who calmly moved forward from the group. The woman and one other, a slim, tanned man, were wearing uniforms that were similar to the captain's, but without the shoulder decoration, "We will need to take a detour before we reach the halls of the wondrous Maktaba. First, we must first rendezvous with another new recruit for the Ethnaa Aashar. It's very rare for two of you to start within such a short period, but that is, simply as it is." The woman bowed, "I am Mawla Xe'ed, and I will be your personal attendant for these next twelve years." She reached her hand out to Sen looking up from her deep bow.

Sen took the hand and was surprised by the feel of cold material. She looked closer and could see the fine play of faint blue luminescent pathways flashing beneath the dark skin, that was mysteriously translucent.

Xe'ed noticed Sen's interest in her hand, "Yes, I was involved in an accident some years ago. Much of what you see here is a gift from the Learned." The elegant woman, gestured across her whole body.

"So, you're an Auger?" Asked Sen timidly.

"No. At least not officially." But, I must say that the order has been trying to bargain with the Learned for the tech for a generation. You see, it has been forward engineered from an ancient alien technology -- by Adriaan, the engineer no less."

"Wow." Whispered Sen.

"You must challenge the Mawla to an arm wrestle one day!" Offered the captain with a wink.

Xe'ed frowned playfully at the Captain, and turned to introduce her similarly dressed companion who had also stepped forward. "This is Mawla Sedek, it is his role to attend the young gentleman who will be joining us soon."

The thin man bowed to Sen, "It is an honor Ethnaa Aashar."

He was quite odd looking, with an egg-shaped, mostly bald head, it was difficult to see where his forehead stopped and his crown began. His brown eyes also seemed too far apart, but his smile was warm and friendly, and it was the first time Sen had been addressed by her would-be new title. Officially she still had two days before she was twelve and could be accepted as one of The Twelve, but who was she to argue with one of the Lords of Qura Amara. Sen was enjoying the special treatment and especially from such important people.

It was common knowledge that the Mawla were the lords of the Amaran colonies; each of their esteemed houses would vie for the opportunity to sponsor one of al Ethnaa Aashar or The Twelve for the duration of their learning. Sen also knew that the Mawla's genetic lines had all achieved the very rare iIII; they took their duty to The Learned very seriously in order to ensure their ability to serve the superior intelligence of their charges.

With introductions out of the way Xe'ed's mood became somber, "Dear Senniella, we are truly sorry for your loss. A father and brother in the one night is a tragedy beyond consideration."

"Aye." agreed the Captain.

"Indeed," added Sedek, "All of the colonies are less without the voice of the fine Lynx Lynx. He was a wise and noble man."

Sen didn't know where to look and felt a tight lump knot in her throat, "You knew my Father?" She asked.

"Yes, both Xe'ed and I have worked with your father over the years. We were with with him in the search for the Pavo System, perhaps he told you stories about it?"

Sen knodded, amazed that the people standing before her had traveled with her father in an adventure over one hundred years ago.

Sedek continued, "Although we did not share his views on the politics of al Ethnaa Aashar, we admired his heart and intellect. He will be sorely missed."

Xe'ed looked beyond the hatch to the empty corridor of the Atripliceae Platform. "If you do not mind me asking, why is it that you have joined us alone? We also know Portia well, and were hoping to offer our condolences to her directly." He was polite enough not to mention the odd fact that that had not been invited to disembark onto the platform either, which was the time-honoured practice for all Skyean guests.

"Um...", replied Sen suddenly saddened, "My mother is unwell. She took my father's death with difficulty." Sen didn't add, how could I have known she would get sick, they say she is dying from a broken heart. It wasn't meant to be like this. Even though Sen had safely hidden the evidence of her murderous scheme, everyone in her family somehow knew what she was involved; no one beside her sister Wattle had said as much, but Sen could feel the coldness and fear from the others, somehow, they all knew. She felt a drip from her nose run to the crease of her lips. Sen reached her hand up to her face to wipe blood with thin fingers. She noticed that the blood was so very red.