A deal

Hettasha was smart but not in the physical sense and, unlike most, hadn't undertaken any but the most basic combat training. Pepper's knife had fallen from her hands as she collapsed in a heap, and Het had dropped down too, her hand, mere inches from the blade. But she knew that if she picked up the weapon and threatened Zoro one of his other elite guards would be there to carry out his command. Instead, she stood and raised her hands.

Zoro next to her was lividly swaying back and forth on the spot, he was bright red, and his teeth were bared; Het was surprised that he wasn't foaming. Rabid little man, she thought. She could have said it but didn't care for a swipe from his cane. He was preoccupied with those on the al' Danni, her friends gathered together on Sedek's ship. She saw Shoo-e was now with them. Xe' ed held Sen in her arms, the girl's head was resting over her shoulder, and she patted her on the back like an infant. The strange auger was there too holding Bashshar's hand.

"What did you do?!" Zoro screamed at the wall display. Then he turned to Het and pointed his stick at her, "was it you?".

Het dropped her arms slowly and shook her head, "No". But, she knew who had done it. She felt the surge. It was like when you take a section of a balloon and squeeze it until it pops. But, instead of air, this burst released energy, a dark energy that she knew well. It was the same kind of energy that she could trace and read inside people's minds and souls. That was her particular skill. It was why she was one of the Learned.

Zoro returned his attention to the al' Danni.

"We did it." Xe' ed answered. "Surprised that we had a trick up our sleeve that you didn't know about?" She pulled Shoo-e forward. "And he'll do it to you too if you don't release Het and let us on our way."

The old wizard's eyes narrowed as he considered what he had just been told, calling her bluff, "Do it then. I'm not going anywhere without Senniella."

The girl raised her head off Xe' ed's shoulder and wriggled down.

"She's not going anywhere. I know you don't want to die, your sense of self-preservation is what drives you. Stand down."

Zoro ignored her threat. "I said, do it then!"

Both sides stood there silent forces mirroring the standoff of the big ships around them.

"Are we going to give the processor's back their kindness?" Sen stepped forward, addressing Zoro directly as she sniffled and wiped her wet eyes.

"Yes, yes, their kindness, that's it!" Zoro could sense victory. "We are going to find the Ouroboros and rescue the sentience that you found Sen, and then, return it to the machines."

Sen looked back up to Xe' ed. "We killed their kindness. I know that is what we have to do. Give it back to them."

"Silence child, it is not for--" Sedek started, but Zoro's temper cut him off.

"Shut up! Let the girl speak!" ordered Zoro in return.

But Sen had nothing else to say and shrank back into Xe' ed's side.

The look Xe' ed gave Sedek was one of apology. "Okay, she'll go. But only if I will come with her and if you let Het go."

"It's okay Xe'ed, I'll go too." Het spoke up as she would rather be with Xe' ed and the girl.

"Deal!" shouted Zoro in reply.

"No." Sedek replied in a way that said that his decision was final.

Zoro's eyes widened, he was speechless, and Xe' ed was about to commence her appeal when Sedek continued, "We will all go. Provided that we first stop at Greater Mae and offload the other Ethnaa Aashar and anyone else who does not wish to take on this journey. It will be dangerous and long."

"Yes, yes. Okay, okay." Zoro was relieved.

Het looked on as Sedek turned to Xe' ed, "We are in this together."

***

[On the dark side of a moon locked by gravity to the rogue giants drifting somewhere in the Galaxy]

A machine sleeps.