Death of a Redeemer

[Shillay Market Platform, Skyean Hebrides,  Hyperborean Cluster]

The bright colours of the Free Market platforms mixed into a dirty, busy mess of merchant stalls, noisy hawkers and the packed bustle of locals and travellers from the far corners of the known Galaxy. Navigating a way through the packed human current normally meant choosing a direction and joining the dense, slow but steady flow of pedestrians; but for Sam, Honi and the hooded acolyte, the flotsam parted like waves repelled by some unseen force radiating about the small squad. But, the energy that moved the crowd was not of a physical nature; it was psychological, created by the universal fear of the masked figures of the dreaded Death Squad.

"It's not far now, twenty metres and to the left is the entrance to redeemer's temple." Sam's holographic skull mask was activated, and her voice had transformed into an ominous tone by a vocal glitch routine running in her ortex.

A line of people seeking entry to the temple blocked their way down a lane to a non-descript, grey  two-story building.

Their target was the platform's resident Redeemer, who was also a Churchman and held high office within in the local clergy.

A Redeemer's role was to accept pax payment from the devout in exchange for special favours from God. Such favours included the forgiveness of sin; the granting fortune for an upcoming voyage; or even infliction of a curse for an unholy enemy or heretic. This particular Redeemer was known to the Death Squad as more than just a broker of God's will, they were known to trade in various other, considerably more tangible goods, including black market items like the long life override device.

The override devices were designed to mask excessive gefresh treatments and therefore, evade the attention of the death squad. Their use was risky as every application of the override came with a small percentage chance of failure. The death squad knew of this weakness and, as a result, many punishments under the terminatio die were made possible due to notifications from a failed override. Rather than crack down on the manufacture and sale of these devices, it was in the interest of the Church to turn a blind eye on their supply in limited numbers. Unfortunately for this redeemer, they sold a device to the wrong person, the identity of whom was of strong interest to the squad.

With a wave of his hand, Honi gave a signal for the temple's patrons to move out.  The line quickly cleared leaving the entrance free for the trio to enter.

Inside, more clients were lined up to enter the private parlour that was marked by a heavy curtain. It was in the room behind the curtain where the transactions with the Redeemer would take place. Two heavyset mercs stood either side of the doors. The private security operators were equipped with holstered sidearms.

"Everyone out!" Shouted Honi with his vocal enhancements booming through the room. The customers panicked, fleeing the building frantically  while giving the Churchmen the greatest berth possible.

The guards had fled their posts too, and the squad was free to enter the parlour without challenge. As Sam pulled the curtains, two ready mercs inside the room had their weapons drawn. But before either of them could even aim a shot, the first received an upward smash to the face with the butt of the acolyte's staff; from the sound of the impact, the strike had exploded bone, and the guard fell into a heap. The second merc dropped her weapon and reached to her throat to try and dislodge the blade that Sam had flicked into it with lightning speed.

Honi had his sword levelled in the direction of a stunned customer and the Redeemer who had been kneeling before a candle lit, life-sized idol of a naked and bearded wild man who knelt on all fours with fingers and toes ending with long bird-like talons. Both of the startled figures in the room had seemingly been in prayer before the Churchmen had entered.